Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
MOUGHTREY - Gazetteers
"MOUGHTREY, (or Mochtre), a parish in the hundred and county of Montgomery, 3 miles S.W. of Newtown, its post town and nearest railway station, and 9 from Llanidloes. It is situated on a branch of the river Derwent, not far from the river Severn, and on the Caer Sws Roman way to Abbey Cwmhêr. It comprises the townships of Moughtreyllan and Eskirgilo. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £86, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to All Saints.
"ESKIRGILOG, a township in the parish of Moughtrey, hundred and county of Montgomery, 3 miles S.W. of Newtown."
"MOUGHTREYLLAN, a township in the parish of Moughtrey, hundred and county of Montgomery, 3 miles S.W. of Newtown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
MOUGHTREY (MOCH-DRE), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MONTGOMERY, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (S. W.) from Newtown, containing 544 inhabitants. It constituted formerly, with the parish of Kerry, a district in the ancient province of Ferregs, granted by Elystan Glodryd, lord of Ferregs and Maelienydd, to his second son Morgeneu. It is situated in the southern part of the county, bordering upon Radnorshire, and comprises a large tract of land, of which one-half is enclosed and cultivated, and the remainder allotted as sheepwalks to the several farms, under the provisions of the Kerry enclosure act, passed in 1797. The surface is boldly undulated, rising in several parts into abrupt eminences, and surrounded by lofty hills, which circumscribe the parish in the form of an amphitheatre. In the mountains are many singular chasms, and the whole surface of the hills was formerly richly wooded : the surrounding scenery is in many points highly picturesque, and the views, though partially obstructed by intervening heights, comprehend many interesting objects. The manufacture of flannel is carried on upon a limited scale, affording employment to a portion of the inhabitants. This parish formed one of the twenty-four prebends with which Thomas Beck, Bishop of St. David's, in 1287, endowed the college of St. Mary at Aberguilly, in the county of Carmarthen, and which were afterwards transferred by Henry VIII, to the college of Christ Church in Brecknock : the prebend is valued in the king's books at £ 1. 7. 1., and is in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and £ 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Brecknock. Moughtrey and Kerry are the only parishes in the county of Montgomery which are within the diocese of St. David's, a circumstance which is attributed to the successful resistance opposed by the celebrated Giraldus Cambrensis, Archdeacon of Brecknock, to the forcible attempts of the then Bishop of St. Asaph to take possession of those churches, and annex them to his diocese. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, but in a very dilapidated condition : it stands in a vale watered by a stream which falls into the river Severn. There is a place of worship for Independents. On a point of land between two small brooks, near a hill in this parish, called the Craig, there is a strong military station of small extent ; and near Craig Mill are evident traces of a Roman road leading across the summit of the hills, from Caer - SWs to Abbey Cwm Hir, in the county of Radnor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £278. 14.
ESGAIR-GEILIOG, a township in the parish of MOUGHTREY, upper division of the hundred of MONTGOMERY, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (S. W.) from Newtown. The population is returned with the parish. This township forms the upper portion of the parish, being situated among the mountains bordering on Radnorshire. The unenclosed part of those hills, which exhibit many singular chasms, is allotted as sheepwalks to the different contiguous farms, under an enclosure act passed in 1797, for the adjacent parish of Kerry. The road from Newtown to Knighton and Builth passes through the eastern extremity of the township.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)