We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SNEAD - Gazetteers

National Gazetteer, 1868

"SNEAD, (or Isnowyd), a parish in the hundred and county of Montgomery, 6 miles S.E. of Montgomery, its post town. It is a small village situated on the river Camlet. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £87. The church, which is ancient and ivy-mantled, formerly belonged to Chirbury priory.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833

SNEAD (SNEYD, or IS NOWDD), a parish chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of MONTGOMERY, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N.) from Bishop's Castle, containing 57 inhabitants. This parish, of which a few fields are in the county of Salop, is about two miles in length and half a mile in breadth, and is watered by the river Camlet, which forms its northern boundary. The surface is undulated, rising in some parts into bold eminences, and the soil is in general fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £450 from the tithes, £400 private benefaction, and £ 600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Philip Morris, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, in the early style of English architecture, and was formerly dependent on the priory of Chirbury : it is beautifully situated in a retired spot, and almost concealed from view by the numerous trees of lofty growth by which the churchyard is entirely surrounded : the west end is almost covered with ivy, and the venerable building has a strikingly picturesque appearance on entering the churchyard. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £42.5.


(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books