GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents



"AMROATH (AMBROTH, or AMROTH), a parish, in the hundred and union of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S.E.) from Narberth; contains 779 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the western shore of Carmarthen bay, abounds with coal of a peculiarly fine quality, which, burning without smoke or any offensive smell, is much in request for the drying of malt and hops; for this purpose, considerable quantities are shipped from a place called Wiseman's Bridge, in vessels of fifty or sixty tons' burthen, and sent to Bristol, and other places on the banks of the Severn. This part of the bay is celebrated for salmon, cod, and flat fish, which are taken in abundance, and of which considerable quantities are sent for the supply of the market at Tenby, five miles distant. . . The church dedicated to St. Elidyr, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty embattled tower, and is well fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. A school, for the gratuitous instruction of an unlimited number of children of both sexes, is endowed with a bequest of the late D. Rees, Esq. . . A Sunday school, which was commenced in 1822, and is supported by subscription, is also attended by 75 children of both sexes, most of whom participate in the benefits of the day school. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

AMROTH, St. Elidr  1851-1856     -o n the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

Church Records

PR C (-1785) recorded in 1831 as having been destroyed.

Parish registers: Christenings (1786-1913), Marriages (1754-1970) and Burials (1786-1874) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1835; 1837-51; 1853-89) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Amroth parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1844.

Emigration and Immigration

Howells, Roscoe. From Amroth to Utah. Gomer Press , April 27th 2001, 144 p,38 photographs. The reviewer says ;  "Roscoe Howells is a consummate story teller..... He blows the dust off history and brings it engagingly to life......This new book is about Amroth and those of its people who journeyed and suffered agonisingly in nineteenth century America, the tale is beautifully told"


Pembrokeshire Families

Held at the NLW ;


Curtis, M. The antiquities of Laugharne, Pendine and their neighbourhoods: Carmarthenshire, Amroth, Saundersfoot, Cilgetty, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, Carmarthen, Dyfed County Council, Cultural Services Department (1991) viii, 339 p.: ill., geneal tables, port. ; 22 cm. p.

Howells, Roscoe. Amroth : a brief history. 2000

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Held at the NLW ;


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.