GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

CLYDEY

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"CLYDEY (CLYDAI), a parish in the hundred of KÎLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.W.) from Newcastle-Emlyn, containing 1385 inhabitants. This parish constitutes the endowment of a prebend in the cathedral church of St. David's, which is rated in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of the Bishop. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6, endowed with £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Clydai, is a plain substantial structure, with a massive square tower. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Fairs are held at Hênveddau in this parish, on May 13th, September 17th, and October 30th. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £290. 8." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

CLYDEY, St. Clydai    1876-1877       - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Clydey and Penrieth with Castellan from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1701-1991), Marriages (1701-1970), Burials (1701-1991) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674, 1676, 1678-80, 1682-5, 1687-9, 1702, 1705, 1799-1803, 1805-14, 1816-67, 1869, 1873) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105137.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Clydey parish   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

Tegryn is a small village, high in the Preseli hills, built on the upper slopes of Frenni Fawr {the 3rd highest peak in the range}, as a result of which we have magnificent views in all directions........................If you want to find us on a map, follow the A478 road from Cardigan to Crymych, then follow the first turn to the left and then take the first turn on the right. This brings you to a T-junction where a right turn leads into Tegryn.

Genealogy

Held at the NLW ;

History

Canrif o Luniau Pobl Plwyf Clydau (A Hundred Years of photographs of the people in Clydau parish) to be published locally November 17th 2001

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.