"GRANSTON, a parish in the hundred of DEWIS-LAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Fishguard, containing 195 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the north-western part of the county, and within a short distance of the coast of St. George's channel: it is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Fishguard to St.David's, and is watered by a small stream, which, after flowing through it, falls into the sea near Aberbāch. The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, though from the higher grounds some good views are obtained over the channel and the adjacent country. Tregwynt, the ancient mansion of the family of Harries, a branch of that seated at Priskilly, is within this parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to that of Mathrey, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 8. 11 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is a plain edifice, not claiming notice for any peculiarity of architecture: it contains several good mural tablets, erected to the memory of some members of the Priskilly family, of whom several were interred here. There is a large place of worship for Baptists. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £67. 10." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Grandston and St Nicholas from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1727
Parish registers: Christenings (1793-1990), Marriages (1778-1970) Banns (1778-1814, 1828-1908), Burials (1793-1805, 1813-1991) at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR C (1785-1811) M (1778-1813) B (1784-1813) and ts PR [extracts] CB (1785-1902) M (1778-1817) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1843, 1846, 1865-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105141.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Granston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Sayer, Ann. Tregwynt and the Harries family (NLW's site) Pemb Historian X
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996