"LLANVAIR NANTGWYN (LLAN-VAIR-Y-NANT-GWYN), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S. by W.) from Cardigan, containing 237 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated in the north-eastern part of the county, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St.Mary, and its distinguishing adjunct probably from the abundance of white quartz stones scattered over the lands and in the bed of a brook by which it is watered. It comprehends a tract of about one thousand four hundred acres of rather flat but dry land, the whole of which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation: the soil, though light, is in general fertile, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture: the surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, but from the higher grounds are some good prospects over the adjacent country. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Major Bowen. The church, dedicated to St. David, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There is a place of worship for Baptists. John Jones, in 1729, bequeathed a rent-charge of ten shillings to the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £68. 5." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Whitechurch in Kemes (otherwise Eglwyswen) with Llanfair Nantgwyn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 this parish had ' no register of births and burials' and that it had been at one time united with Whitechurch.
Parish registers: Christenings (1795-1992), Marriages (1776-1837) Banns (1824-77, 1973-91), Burials (1795-1812, 1816-1989) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-5, 1678, 1680, 1683, 1685-90, 1699, 1701-3, 1800, 1803-9, 1812-37, 1839-40, 1844-53, 1855-65, 1868, 1870-2, 1874-80, 1890) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105166.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfair Nant Gwyn parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Lewis, E.T. North of the hills; a history of the parishes of Eglwyswen, Eglwyswrw, Llanfair Nantgwyn, Meline, Nevern.(1973) viii, 309,  p.,  p. of plates. illus., facsims., map, ports. [ISBN: 0902126032]
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996