"RUDBAXTON, a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 621 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the turnpike road leading from Haverfordwest to Fishguard, is intersected by a stream which flows into the Western Cleddy, and is wholly enclosed and under cultivation. Its surface is enlivened by two gentlemen's seats of cheerful aspect, viz., Wythy Bush, the seat of the Rev. Thomas Martin, a good family mansion pleasantly situated; and Poyston, also the property of that gentleman. The petty sessions for the hundred were formerly held at this place, prior to their removal to Haverfordwest. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £15. 4. 2., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is not remarkable for any striking architectural details: opposite to the entrance of the churchyard is one of those large mounds so frequently found in this part of the principality, but of which the use has not been clearly ascertained. There were formerly two chapels of ease, one dedicated to St. Margaret. and the other to St. Catherine, but both are now in ruins. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Thomas Howard, by deed, gave a rent-charge of £2, which is annually paid by the corporation of Haverfordwest to poor housekeepers of this parish not receiving parochial relief. About three miles to the north-east of Haverfordwest, within the limits of this parish, there is a hill on which is an encampment, called by the country people "the Rhâth". Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton, G.C.B., who fell in the battle of Waterloo, was born at Poyston. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £245. 13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1735-1950), Marriages (1736-1970) Banns (1755-1836), Burials (1735-1992) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] CMB (1735-1810) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-50, 1852-86) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105204.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Held at Pem Archives;
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Rudbaxton parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Held at the NLW ;
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996