How to find a present day house, street or place in the U.K.
This page explains how to locate a present day house, street or place on a map using the Royal Mail web site and the Streetmap site or the Multimap and Bing site.
In order to locate a building or street on the maps on the Streetmap or the Multimap and Bing site, you need to be able to obtain the postcode for the appropriate building/street/place from the Royal Mail site, make a note of it, and then go to the Streetmap or Multimap and Bing site and use the postcode to obtain a map.
Remember to use your "Back arrow" in the browser toolbar to return to this page!
Proceed as follows:
- Go to the Royal Mail Postcode finder site and fill in the form as appropriate..
- On the page you will need to enter:
- The building number or name (if left blank, you will get a list of postcodes for the street)
- The Street name (could be left empty if you gave the building name)
- The place name.
- Press the "Find Postcode" button. You may receive back a selection of possible places - select the appropriate one.
- You may get back a request to type some letters into a box - to make sure you aren't a computer.
- You may get a list of all the houses on the relevant street - select the appropriate one.
- You should then get a page with the complete address and postcode and a map showing the location of the house.
- If you need more information copy the post code to the clipboard (Ctrl C in Windows) or write it down.
- Go to the Streetmap site and paste (Ctrl V in Windows) or type the post code in the search box.
- Select the place from among the options if you are given any.
- You will get back a detailed map. Adjusting the zoom out by one will give you a section of the OS Landranger map.
- Or: go to the Multimap and Bing site
- Select the GB Post Codes from the "Among" list
- Paste (Ctrl V in Windows) or type the post code in the "Search for" bar.
- If you use Google maps or Google earth (the latter requires a download),
- Type a house address in the search and get back either a map or a satellite view of the relevant house.
If I've written confusing instructions or they cease to work, please drop me a line.