Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
Carlow, or Catherlough, a county of Ireland, in Leinster, 28 miles long and 8 broad, bounded E by Wicklow and Wexford, W by Queen's county and Kilkenny, and N by Kildare, divided into 50 parishes, and sends 3 members to parliament. Chief rivers, the Barrow and Slaney. Pop. 81,287.
[From The New London Gazetteer (1826)]
The transcription for this county from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Ireland Genealogy Project's County Carlow page, and its listing of the Project's available Carlow Records
- The Irish Ancestors website (subscription) has the following types of records: State Registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths, Census returns, Land records, Church records, Genealogical Office records, Gravestone inscriptions, Directories, Newspapers, Wills, Deeds, and Occupations.
- Irish Ancestors' extensive County Carlow website.
- The LDS FamilySearch Wiki's Ireland Online Genealogy Records for County Carlow.
- The Fianna website's pages for County Carlow provide important addresses and extensive information about online and other genealogy resources.
- Roots Ireland (subscription) "offers access to a unique database of more than 20 million Irish records". Its Carlow coverage includes Baptismal/Birth Records, Marriage Records, and Griffith's Valuation (Free Access).
- Graham Jaunay's On-line Irish Names Research Directory