"Tipperary, a county of Ireland, province of Munster, bounded N by King's and Queen's counties, E by Queen's county and Kilkenny, S by Waterford and Cork, and W by Limerick, Clare, and Galway; length from N to S is 73 1/2 m, breadth 39 1/2. Area, 882,398 acres, or 1420 square m. The lands of Tipperary have always been ranked amongst the most productive in Ireland. It has, however, been always a great grazing county. It has also extensive tracks of bog and mountain. S of a range of bog, and between the small town of Kinnenaule and the county of Kilkenny, is the coal district. The high hills adjoining Limerick are called the Keepe mountains, from the highest of them. In this district are lead and copper mines; and some parts of it afford fine mill-stones. The rivers are the Suir, and its tributaries. Chief towns, Clonmell, Cashell, Roscrea, Nenegh, Tipperary, and Carrick. Pop. 353,402."
[From The New London Gazetteer]
- Tipperary County Library
Website for the Library System: County Tipperary Libraries
- Cemeteries in Ireland - by Sue Grieves (mostly Tipperary)
- 1787 Directory- Clonmel - contributed by Sheryl Zenzerovich for inclusion on the County Tipperary Genealogy IGP Website.
- Slaters Directory of Ireland - 1856 - Annette McLean and volunteers for the IGP Tipperary website
- Book of County Tipperary (Bassett's 1889 Directory) database by Brian Phelan. Arranged here by Richard Callanan and Christina Hunt
The transcription for this county from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Ireland Genealogy Project's County Tipperary page, and its listing of the Project's available Tipperary Records.
- The Irish Ancestors website (subscription) has the following types of records: State Registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths, Census returns, Land records, Church records, Genealogical Office records, Gravestone inscriptions, Directories, Newspapers, Wills, Deeds, and Occupations.
- Irish Ancestors' extensive County Tipperary website.
- The LDS FamilySearch Wiki's Ireland Online Genealogy Records for County Tipperary.
- The Fianna website's pages for County Tipperary provide important addresses and extensive information about online and other genealogy resources.
- Roots Ireland (subscription) "offers access to a unique database of more than 20 million Irish records". Its Tipperary (North) coverage includes Baptismal/Birth Records, Marriage Records, Burial/Death Records, Census Records, Gravestone Inscriptions, Griffith's Valuation (Free Access), and Census Substitutes, and its Tipperary (South) coverage includes Baptismal/Birth Records, Marriage Records, Burial/Death Records and Griffith's Valuation (Free Access).
- County Tipperary Record Project - CMC Record Project containing donated church records
- Tipperary Family History Research The Heriatge Centre with records for the Diocese of Cashel & Emly.
- Bru Boru Heritage Centre Portions of South Tipperary can be found at this Bru Boru Heritage Center.
- Irish Records from Tipperary - Lots of valuable information on Tipperary records from Jean Skar. Includes information on the Hearth Roll, Civil Survey and Tithe Applotments.
- ConnorsGenealogy County Tipperary section - various databases including the Tithe Applotments, Griffith's Valuation, pictures, parish records, surname registry
- From-Ireland County Tipperary Page - various information including history, ballads, links, good explanations for civil registration and Griffith Valuation
- General Register Office - The General Register Office (Oifig An Ard-Chláraitheora) is the central civil repository for records relating to Births, Deaths and Marriages in the Republic of Ireland.
- County Tipperary Historical Society - The County Tipperary Historical Society was formed in 1987 to create a forum whereby previously unpublished material relating to the history, archaeology, genealogy, folklore and geography of County Tipperary could be published in one all embracing Journal. It had the further aim of fostering and encouraging new research in these fields.