BARTON IN THE CLAY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
"BARTON IN THE CLAY, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 3¼ miles (south) from Silsoe, containing 668 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £26.9.7., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. A school is endowed with property producing about £50 per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes, in 1807, for the instruction of forty poor children."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]