FINGEST, in the hundred of Desborough and deanery of Wycombe, was anciently called Tynhurst or Tinghurst: it lies about seven miles west of High-Wycombe, and about the same distance north-west of Marlow. The manor belonged anciently to the abbey of St. Alban's: by an agreement which took place in 1163, it was given up to the bishops of Lincoln, who made use of the manor-house as their occasional residence: in 1547, bishop Holbeach surrendered it, with other manors, to the crown. In 1549 it was granted to the Duke of Somerset, who, two years afterwards, exchanged it, with the church of Wells, for an estate which had belonged to the prebend of Dulting-Court, in that cathedral, since which time this manor has been held on lease under the prebendary, who is patron of the rectory. The lease, which appears to have been many years in the family of Ferrers, [footnote: Thomas Ferrers, who died in 1646, is called on his tomb, lord of the manor. The same family appointed game-keepers for the manor so lately as 1737.] and afterwards in that of Dorrell, is now vested in Owen Williams esq. M.P. of Temple-House, in the parish of Bisham.
The tower of the parish church is square and massy, with plain circular windows; the other parts of the structure are of later date.
The manor, or manor-farm of Cadmore-end, belonged to the Tippings, and is now the property of the Rev. Philip Wroughton, of Woolley Park, in Berkshire, in right of his wife Mary Anne, niece and heiress of the late Bartholomew Tipping esq.