SHABBINGTON, or SHOBBINGTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies nearly three miles west of Thame. The manor was anciently in the Greys of Rotherfield, afterwards in the Deincourts and Lovels. The Clerkes of Hitcham, were possessed of this manor as early as the year 1624. Sir John Clerke who was created a baronet in 1660 removed his residence from Hitcham to Shabbington. In 1716 the manor of Shabbington was purchased of the Clerkes by the Heywoods: on the death of William Heywood, last heir male of the family, in 1762, it descended to his sisters and coheirs, and became in consequence of a partition which afterwards took place, the sole property of Mrs. Elizabeth Crewe, relict of his nephew John Crewe esq. of Bolesworth, in Cheshire. Since Mrs. Crewe's decease it has devolved to her son-in-law Lord Viscount Falmouth. The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem had a manor in this parish which was given them in 1299. It was granted in 1588 to Tipper and Daw: we have not been able to trace it any farther.
[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "Sir Eustace Grenville and Thomas de Haye who married two co-heiresses of Robert Darcic, baron of Coggs, alienated the manors of East-Claydon, Bottle-Claydon, and Shabbington, to Walter de Grey, archbishop of York, who conveyed them to his brother Robert, and Walter his son."]
In the parish church are some memorials of the family of Clerke. The great tithes which were appropriated to the priory of the Holy Trinity, in Wallingford, are now the property of the Rev. Philip Wroughton and Mary Anne his wife who are patrons of the vicarage. Mrs. Wroughton was heir of the Tipping family who were many years proprietors of the rectory and advowson.
Thomas Jeamson, son of a vicar of Shabbington published a work called "Artificial embellishments" printed in 1665.