"WOOLLEY, a tything in the parish of Chaddleworth, hundred of Kintbury Eagle, county Berks, 6 miles W. of East Ilsley."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chaddleworth to another place.
- Chaddleworth was in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle
You can see the administrative areas in which Chaddleworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU412788 (Lat/Lon: 51.506637, -1.40777), Chaddleworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Chaddleworth was in the Wantage Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.