"SANDHURST, in the hundred of Sonning, lies nearly five miles to the south-east of Wokingham. The manor belongs to Richard Heavyside esq. having been acquired, by purchase, from General Williamson, whose family had possessed it many years. The great tithes are impropriated to the dean of Salisbury. The dean is patron of the parochial chapel, which is subject to Sunning, and whithin his own peculiar jurisdiction. An extensive building is about to be erected in this parish, for the purpose of a military college, from the design of James Wyatt esq."
[From Lyson's Magna Britannia - Berkshire, 1806]
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|Mission Church of St Mary, Sandhurst, Church of England|
|Royal Memorial Chapel (aka Royal Military Academy chapel), Sandhurst, Church of England|
|St Michael (& All Angels), Sandhurst, Church of England|
|Sandhurst & Yateley Methodist, Sandhurst, Methodist|
|Wesleyan Chapel, Sandhurst, Wesleyan Methodist|
Further information about only some of the churches can be found below:
- Church of England:
- St Michael's, Sandhurst.
- Mission Church of St Mary - was daughter church of St Michael, was built and dedicated by the Bishop of Reading on the 23rd March 1889. It "sat on the corner of the bend in Wellington Road. Many local children will remember going to Sunday School there and the Revd. Clayton from Thibet Road holding services. It was demolished in the early 1960's and it was replaced with a timber framed building. The last sevice was held there on the 10th October 1998 and the whole plot is now clear of buildings awaiting planning permission for a curate's house to be built on the site." From Sandhurst: How it has Changed by Sandhurst Historical Society (Sept 2007).
- Royal Memorial Chapel (aka Royal Military Academy chapel), Sandhurst, incorporates earlier Christ Church (as a side chapel), located inside RMA grounds, so restricted access. Baptism, marriage and burial records are with the verger; see staff for details.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sandhurst to another place.
- Sandhurst was in the hundred of Sonning
You can see the administrative areas in which Sandhurst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU857622 (Lat/Lon: 51.352424, -0.770729), Sandhurst which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sandhurst was in the Easthampstead Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.