by Colin Hinson ©2013
"HARDWICK, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge, 6 miles west of Cambridge railway station, and 4 east of Caxton, its post town. The parish is small, and wholly agricultural. It now contains only a small portion of common, the principal part having been enclosed in 1836. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £248. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £288, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from 1654. The Masters and Fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor.
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Mary for the years 1735-1972 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Hardwick is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing 3 bells: the chance! retains a piscina, and the stairs to the rood loft also remain: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. James Smith Brown M.A. 22 years rector of the parish, 1870-92: there are 152 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1564."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- A history of St. Mary is available from the village website.
- Church of England
- Hardwick, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1564-1951, marriages 1574-1649, 1695-1985, burials 1577-1908 and banns 1755-1934 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1564-1885, marriages 1578-1885. burials 1577-1885 and banns 1757-1885 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1643, 1664-65, 1679-83, and 1705-1861 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. The transcripts of the parish registers 1564-1885 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- There is a complete description of Hardwick provided on the village website.
- A transcript of the Hardwick parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Hardwick parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hardwick to another place.
- "In or about 970, King Edgar, by the advice of Ethelwold, Bishop of Winchester, re-established a monastery here under the Benedictine rule, and gave back to it all the lands with which it was originally endowed, appointing Brithnoth, Prior of Winchester, the first abbot: the manor, given by him in 991 to the Abbot and Convent of Ely, was afterwards annexed to the see, till alienated by Bishop Heton in 1600: soon after this it was in the family of Long, whose heiress, Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Long esq. of Shingaye, brought it in marriage to Sir William Russell, created 21 July, 1603, Baron Russell of Thornhaugh; he died 9 Aug. 1613, end the title is now held by his descendant the Duke of Bedford K.G. after some intermediate alienations, it became the property of Dr. Matthew Wren, Bishop of Hereford (1635-6), then of Norwich (1636-8) and afterwards of Ely (1638-67), who gave it to the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College for the support and repairs of their new chapel, built chiefly at his expense, after a design by his nephew, the famous Sir Christopher Wren. The Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL372593 (Lat/Lon: 52.214839, 0.006779), Hardwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Hardwick Roll of Honour in the church has been transcribed and researched.
- Near the church is a granite cross erected in 1921 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.