by Colin Hinson ©2013
"LINTON, a parish and post town in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 6 miles from Saffron Walden, and 10 south-east of Cambridge. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on a branch of the river Cam, and near the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is still considerable, was formerly a market town, and had a small priory cell to St. Jacutus-de-Insula, in Brittany, which was subsequently given by Henry VI. to Pembroke College, Cambridge. At Bareham are the ruins of a Crutched Friary cell to Welnetham Abbey, in Suffolk. This monastery was established in the reign of Edward I., and at the Dissolution came to the Mellicents. Many of the houses in the town are very old and thatched.
The union workhouse, which cost £6,600, is situated a short distance from the village, near to which is the newly-erected police station. Petty sessions are held every alternate Wednesday, and courts leet occasionally by the lords of the manor. The soil consists of gravel and chalk. A considerable portion of the land is in orchards and market gardens. In 1838 an Act was obtained for enclosing the waste lands. The appropriate tithes, belonging to Pembroke Hall, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £780, and the vicarial for £260. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £204, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has an embattled tower containing a clock and five bells. The church contains several ancient monuments, including the brass of a knight in armour, bearing date 1430, and the tomb to Mrs. Harrison, who died at the advanced age of 135 years. The parochial charities produce about £38 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a British school-the latter not in use. The charities produce £37 per annum, chiefly the endowment of the almshouses. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive Methodists. The governors of Pembroke College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor. Linton is the head of a Poor-law Union embracing 20 parishes in the county of Cambridge, and 2 in that of Essex. It is also the seat of a superintendent registry, but is included within the Saffron Walden new County Court district. An extensive sheep fair is held on the 30th July, and one on Holy Thursday for small wares."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for St. Mary's churchyard, 1707-1944, are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search) There are is also a Congregational churchyard.
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Linton is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Mary's Church, Linton
- "The church of St. Mary is a building of flint and rubble, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: in the aisles are several monuments to the families of Pairs (1551 and 1650), Stanley (1726 and 1780), Millicent (1555 and 1577) and Flack (1693, 1704 and 1705) the chancel and Millicent chapel were restored in 1879 at the expense of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the lay impropriators, a new organ being at the same time erected by the parishioners: a restoration of the church begun in 1887, was completed in 1891, and the total cost, including the chancel, amounted to about £1,400: there are 530 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559."
- "Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1818 and seating 500 persons, with a graveyard attached; and there are also Salvation Army Barracks and a small Literary Institute."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Linton, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1560-1930, marriages 1559-1996, burials 1566-1966 and banns 1754-1844, 1859-1903 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-41, 1662-1855 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1560-1844, marriages 1559-1844 and burials 1566-1844, copies of these transcripts are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search).
- Independent Church
- Independent: Records exist for baptisms 1787-1921, marriages 1879-1908, burials 1787-1915 (burials 1798-1837 are on microfilm) with transcripts for baptisms 1787-1837 and burials 1798-1837.
- "The Beeches, the property and residence of Johann Gottlieb Brinkmann esq. is pleasantly situated and stands in its own grounds of about 7 acres. Harrison's charity of £2 8s. 9d. yearly is for bread. A fair for smallwares, formerly held on Holy Thursday and the sheep fair formerly held on the 20th July are now abolished, and the market once held here has also fallen into disuse. Barham Hall, in this parish, was anciently a priory of Crutched Friars, founded about 1292, as a cell to the convent of St. Jagu de Lisle in Brittany; it is now a farm house. The remains of a Roman villa were discovered in 1825 in a field separated by the river Granta from the site of Barham Priory, and in 1862, when excavating for the railway from Cambridge to Sudbury, the workmen met with the remains of numerous skeletons in this field at a depth of 3 feet from the surface." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- The "1839 Pigot's Directory of Cambridgeshire" for Linton index of Inns & Hotels, Taverns and Public Houses, Brewers & Maltsters + Wine & Spirit Merchants.
- A transcript of the Linton parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Linton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Linton parish entries from 1900 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Linton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL561467 (Lat/Lon: 52.096624, 0.27741), Linton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Poor Law Institution in the parish of Linton (later the Public Assistance Institution and then Linton Hospital) has records for births for 1933 and deaths 1930-83 in the Cambridgeshire Archives.