"REACH, a hamlet in the parishes of Burwell and Swaffham Prior, a mile north from Swaffham Prior station on the Cambridge and Mildendall branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 6 miles north-west from Newmarket, partly in Staploe and partly in Staine hundreds, and in the Bottisham petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newmarket.
A horse fair, which was originally granted to the burgesses of Cambridge by King John, is held on Rogation Monday; the fair is opened by the Mayor and Corporation of Cambridge.
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard are available for the years 1881-1947 and reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. These inscriptions are available on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records for Reach exist for the years 1841, 1861-1891, can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1861 Census for Reach is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1860, occupies the site of the ancient but now ruined chapel of St. Etheldreda, the east end of which is still standing: the present church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, and a turret over the western entrance containing one bell; there are 150 sittings: the Rev. Lawrence Fisher M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, has been chaplain since 1919, and is also vicar of Swaffham Prior, where he resides, and is also rural dean of Fordham. There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1862, with sittings for 290 persons." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Reach, Holy Trinity: Registers are at the church for baptisms from 1901 and marriages from 1909.
- Reach Congregational Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives batisms 1862-85, 1924, 1924-45, marriages 1864-85. 1937 and burials 1863-85, 1923-25, 1937-39.
- A transcript of the Reach parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Reach to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL562662 (Lat/Lon: 52.271769, 0.287844), Reach which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Church has been transcribed and the men researched.