"BADDILEY, a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Nantwich, containing 270 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £24. 3. 6., and in the patronage of Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is constructed of English oak, and is of great antiquity; the upright, timbers, being much decayed, were cased with brick in 1811, but the roof and ceiling are still in fine preservation. Baddiley Hall, once the noble residence of the Mainwarings, has been converted into a farmhouse. The Ellesmere canal passes through the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Baddiley was a township and ancient parish in Nantwich hundred (SJ 6050), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Baddiley Hulse, Batterley Hill, Gradeley Green (part), Ravensmoor (part) and Swanley (part).
- The population was 276 in 1801, 281 in 1851, 211 in 1901, 219 in 1951, and 226 in 2001.
- Nantwich (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-1988)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Baddiley to another place.
"BADDILEY, a parish in the hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles to the S.W. of Nantwich its post town. The Chester and Shrewsbury railway and the Birmingham and Liverpool canal pass near the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £219, in the patronage of J. Tollemache, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The parish enjoys an endowment of £43 a year, funded by Dame Mainwaring Baddiley Hall, now occupied as a farmhouse, was the ancient seat of the Mainwarings."
- 1883 March 25 — Gained detached parts Nos. 1 and 2 of Brindley (296 acres, pop. 0 in 1891), and lost detached part No. 5 to Brindley (7 acres, pop. 0 in 1891), detached parts Nos. 3, 4, 7 and 9 to Burland (42 acres, pop. 20 in 1891, including Burland Green and Foxley's Farm) and detached parts Nos. 6, 8 and 10 to Faddiley (9 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1888 March 24 — Lost detached parts Nos. 1 and 2 to Brindley (144 acres, pop. 2 in 1891, including a cottage in Long Acre)
You can see the administrative areas in which Baddiley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ603521 (Lat/Lon: 53.064962, -2.593503), Baddiley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)