"CARRINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of BOWDON, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Altrincham, containing 531 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £1000 private benefaction, £1000 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Stamford. The chapel, dedicated to St. George, was consecrated in 1759." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Carrington was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7492), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been part of the county of Greater Manchester.
- It includes the hamlet of Holly Bank.
- The population was 435 in 1801, 536 in 1851, 514 in 1901, 627 in 1951, and 396 in 2001.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carrington to another place.
- 1920 April 1 — Gained parts of Flixton, Lancashire (13 acres, pop. 0 in 1921) and Irlam, Lancashire (4 acres, pop. 0 in 1921), and lost parts to Altrincham (84 acres, pop. 0 in 1921), Flixton, Lancashire (5 acres, pop. 0 in 1921), and Irlam, Lancashire (55 acres, pop. 0 in 1921), when the boundary with Lancashire was adjusted to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal
You can see the administrative areas in which Carrington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ741928 (Lat/Lon: 53.431343, -2.391283), Carrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)