"MEOLSE (LITTLE), a township in the parish of WEST-KIRBY, lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 10 miles (N. W. by N.) from Great Neston, containing 131 inhabitants. This has lately risen into repute as a bathing-place. In 1690, the Duke of Schomberg encamped with his army at a place called the Mells, near Hyle lake, in this township, previously to his embarkation for Ireland." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Little Meols (or Little Meolse) was a township in West Kirby ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 2188), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1894 to become part of Hoylake cum West Kirby.
- It included the town of Hoylake.
- The population was 123 in 1801, 170 in 1851, and 2850 in 1901.
For the period after 1894, see Hoylake cum West Kirby.
- 1894 — Abolished and incorporated into Hoylake cum West Kirby (pop. 2830 in 1901)
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-91)
- West Kirby & Hoylake Urban Sanitary District (1891-94)