Hide

Marthall cum Warford

hide
Hide

"MARTALL, a township, joint with Little Warford, in that part of the parish of ROSTHERN which is in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Nether Knutsford, containing, with Little Warford, 267 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

"WARFORD (LITTLE), a township, joint with Martall, in that part of the parish of ROSTHERN which is in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Nether Knutsford. The population is returned with Martall." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Marthall cum Warford was a township in Over Peover chapelry of Rostherne ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 8076), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The civil parish was abolished in 1951 and divided into Little Warford and Marthall.
  • It included the hamlets of Fallows Cross, Kell Green and Sandle Bridge (part).
  • The population was 260 in 1801, 225 in 1851, 244 in 1901, and 711 in 1951.

For the period after 1951, see Little Warford and Marthall..

Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Altrincham (1837-98)
  • Bucklow (1898-1951)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1951 April 1 — Abolished and divided into Little Warford (178 acres, pop. 544 in 1951) and Marthall (1621 acres, pop. 167 in 1951)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Altricnham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
  • Bucklow Rural District (1895-1951)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Altrincham (1836-95)
  • Bucklow (1895-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1951)