The parish of Colan (Cornish: Lannwydhek) has sometimes been called Little Colan or St Colan; it is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north and west by St Columb Minor, on the east by St Columb Major, and on the south by St Enoder and Newlyn East. The parish, which is located towards the North Cornwall coast, is named after its patron: Saint Colanus.
The principal villages are Besoan or Besoughan (Bosoughan), Melancoose, and Mountjoy.
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 297 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Colan (HO107/149), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Colan (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Colan (RG9/1543), Enumeration District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871 The 1871 Census of Colan (RG10/2256), Enumeration District 12A [including Merchant Shipping],is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Colan (RG11/2297), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Colan (RG12/1819), Enumeration District 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8661 and was dedicated to St Colanus. The church erected in 1250 by Walter Bronscombe, Bishop of Exeter, who annexed it to the office of the sacristan of Glasney College on 7th September 1276. It was dedicated on 14th July 1336 by John de Grandisson, Bishop of Exeter. The church comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The arcade has five four-centred arches of St Stephen's china stone, supported on pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is of two stages, embattled, and of the turrets only the pinnacles remain. There are three bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Chapel in Colan, with a Sunday School attached.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Colan are: C052721, E052721, M006401, M052721, P006401. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1597 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1747 - 1949, Burials 1747 - 1812, Marriages 1754 - 1836, Boyd's Marriage Index 1600 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1600 - 1673.
- Baptisms 1682 to 1773 (BTs with gaps), and 1813 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore Marriages 1665 to 1812, and 1682 to 1782 (BTs), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1600 to 1836, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages of St Colan 1665 to 1812 are also available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
The parish of Colan was originally in the St Columb Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Registration District of St Austell. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan in Pyder, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Colan to another place.
"COLAN, a parish in the hundred of Pyder, in the county of Cornwall, 3 miles S.W. of St. Columb, its post town, and 4 N. of St. Enoder. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £163, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Colan, is an ancient stone edifice, said to have been built by Bishop Bronscomb, of Exeter, about 1252, and contains brasses to the Cosworth and Blewitt families. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have places of worship. There are schools connected with the church. The principal landowner is Sir Richard Vivian, Bart. The Feast of St. Collin is held on the Wednesday following the first Sunday in May"
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Colan ecclesiastical parish:
- Coswarth (Gudiforda, Gvdiford, Cudifort, Cvdiford), Grid Reference 869597.
You can see the administrative areas in which Colan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Austell Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW868613 (Lat/Lon: 50.41262, -5.001957), Colan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Colan (1781 - 1827) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Colan parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Settlement Papers (1826) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.