Cubert (St Cuthbert) (Cornish: Lannowynn) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by Crantock, on the east by Crantock and Newlyn East, on the south by Perranzabuloe, and on the west by the sea. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Cubertus. The churchtown stands on an elevated position and was surrounded by well-cultivated and fertile lands, which formed a striking contrast to the deserts of sands to the westward. Villages in the parish are: Treveal and Tresean. About a mile and a half to the north west of the Church, in a small sandy bay under Kelsey Point, called Holy Well Bay, are several caves wrought in the cliff by the sea. In one of these caves, at the north-eastern point in the bay, is the well which give it its name.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 388 entries.
- The Methodist Chapel - 301 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Cubert (HO107/149), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Cubert (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 2c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Cubert (RG9/1544), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Cubert (RG10/2257), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Cubert (RG11/2298), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Cubert (RG12/1820), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7857 and was dedicated to St Cubertus (or Cuthbert). It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north and south transepts. The arcade has six obtuse arches of St Stephens stone, with monolith pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is buttressed on the square, and on the second stage is canted into an octagon, surmounted by a spire; it contained three bells. The church and spire were considerably damaged by lightning on Monday, 10th April 1848; they were restored in 1852.
- Non-Conformist. There is a Wesleyan Chapel in Cubert.
- Esther Scott has produced a list of some baptisms, marriages and burials, which are recorded in the Cubert parish registers.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Cubert are: C023611/2, E052761, M023611/2, M052761. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of the parish is 1608 to 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1733 - 1864, Burials 1733 - 1960, Marriages 1733 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- Phillimore marriages in the parish 1608 to 1812, and parish transctipts 1813 to 1837, are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages 1608 to 1837, which are available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf files.
- Some Marriages at Cubert have been transcribed by Esther Scott, and are on-line.
- Burials in the parish 1682 to 1773 (Bishop's Transcripts), 1653 to 1657, and 1733 to 1837 (parish transcripts) are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have also published transcripts of: Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Some Burials at Cubert have been transcribed by Esther Scott, and are on-line.
The parish of Cubert was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Truro Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan in Pyder, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The address of the Truro Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cubert to another place.
"CUBERT, (or Cuthbert), a parish in the hundred of Pyder, in the county of Cornwall, 8 miles S. W. of St. Columb Major, and 9 N.W. of Truro, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the coast, and is a small mining village. Kelsey Point is celebrated for its small breed of sheep. Near the village is a petrifying spring. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £180, in the patronage of the Rev. C. H. Hosken. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert, and contains monuments to the Hosken family and others; also a wall painting of the saint to whom it is dedicated. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Here is a parochial school for boys and girls, and a Sunday-school. James Theodore Hosken, Esq., is lord of the manor. At Holywell Beach a fair is held annually.
The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cubert ecclesiastical parish:
- Ellenglaze (Elil), Grid Reference 775578.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cubert has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW785579 (Lat/Lon: 50.379353, -5.116369), Cubert which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Cubert parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1793 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.