The parish of Laneast (Cornish: Lannast) is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and in the Hundreds of East and Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Treneglos and Tresmere, on the east by Egloskerry and Trewen, on the south by Altarnun, and on the west by St Clether. Laneast is a small village in north-east Cornwall about seven miles west of Launceston, just south of the A395. The name comes from 'lann',- church site, followed by a geographical reference to its position in reference to the older St Clether site. The main villages are the Churchtown and Badgall.
John Couch Adams, a mathematical genius who became a Professor of Mathematics at St John's College, Cambridge, was born at Lidcot farm in this parish in 1819. He became a famous Astronomer and is credited as being the co-discoverer of the planet Neptune.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 184 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Laneast (HO107/134), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Laneast (HO107/1899), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Laneast (RG9/1517), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Laneast (RG10/2222), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Laneast (RG11/2274), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Laneast (RG12/1801), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2284, and is now dedicated to St Michael. The church has previously been dedicated to Saints Welvela and Sativola (alias Sidewell and Gulval). It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and north transept. Considerable restoration took place in 1848. There is a south porch, in which are the remains of an ancient pries's tomb; the latin inscription is illegible. The tower is lofty; it is of three stages, is finished with battlements and pinnacles and contains five bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel near Furze Park on the St Clether road.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Laneast are: C023551/2/3, E023552, M023552/3. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1676 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1700 - 1979, Burials 1700 - 1979, Marriages 1700 - 1902, Boyds Marriage Index 1680 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1913-37 Burials.
- Baptisms in this parish 1701 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1737 to 1812 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Phillimore marriages in this parish 1680 to 1812, and parish transcripts 1680 to 1910, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1596 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, marriagess 1741 to 1812 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- Phillimore's Marriages of Laneast 1680 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- Burials in this parish 1701 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, burials 1741 to 1812 (with marriages) for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
The parish of Laneast is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Laneast to another place.
"LANEAST, a parish in the hundred of East and Lesnewth, county Cornwall, 7 miles W. of Launceston, its post town. It is situated on the river Inny. The parish is bounded on the N. by Trenegios and Tresmere, on the E. by Egloskerry and Trewen, on the S. by Altarnum, and on the W. by St. Clether. Laneast was formerly held by Launceston Priory. In the neighbourhood is a small lead mine called Wheal-Baron. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £113. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £85. The church, dedicated to St. Satiovla, St. Wilvola, or St. Galwell, is an ancient stone structure with a lofty tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains a carved screen, open oak seats, and remains of an ancient painted window. There is a National school. In a meadow near the church is a well called the "Wishing Well." The Wesleyans have a chapel at Tregeare. At Neptune, in this parish, John Couch Adams was born, the discoverer of the planet Neptune."
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Laneast has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Launceston Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX233852 (Lat/Lon: 50.639737, -4.500709), Laneast which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Laneast parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1769 to 1846) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.