Lanhydrock (Cornish: Lannhydrek) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Bodmin, on the east by St Winnow and Cardinham, on the south by Lanlivery, and on the west by Lanivet. The name means Church site of St Hydrock. Lanhydrock is in the centre of Cornwall south of Bodmin parish. The parish is probably the manor referred to in the Domesday Survey of 1086 as Lanredrock.
Lanhydrock House, which dominates the parish, was originally built by the Robartes family (the Earls of Radnor) in the 17th century. In 1881 this house was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt shortly afterwards using local stone and timber. It is now owned by the National Trust, has most impressive gardens, and it attracts thousands of visitors every year.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 251 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Lanhydrock (HO107/150), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Lanhydrock (HO107/1904), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lanhydrock (RG9/1537), Enumeration Districts 11a, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Lanhydrock (RG10/2250), Enumeration District 11 [including Workhouses], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lanhydrock (RG11/2292), Enumeration District 11 [including Workhouses], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lanhydrock (RG12/1816), Enumeration District 11 and Workhouse, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0863; it is dedicated to St Hydock whose Feast Day is 5th May. It comprises a chacel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades, each comprise four four-centred arches, are supported on monolith granite pillars. There is a south porch. The tower, which is of three stages, is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains one bell. The church was once connected with the religious establishments located in Bodmin.
The parish is now part of the Bodmin Team Ministry which has an on-line website.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Lanhydrock are: P002161, M002161. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1559 to 1812.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1561 - 1913, Burials 1558 - 1805, Marriages 1559 - 1837, Boyds Marriage Index 1559 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- Burials. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Lanhydrock is in the Bodmin Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lanhydrock to another place.
"LANHYDROCK, a parish in the hundred of Pyder, county Cornwall 2 miles S.E. of Bodmin, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Fowey, and near the turnpike road from Bodmin to Truro. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The principal residence is Lanhydrock House, built in the early part of the 17th century. It is an embattled structure of granite forming three sides of a quadrangle approached under an archway and an avenue of trees nearly a mile in length. It was garrisoned for the parliament in the Civil War, and surrendered to Sir Richard Granville in 1644. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Hydrock, is a small stone structure with an embattled tower. There is an ancient cross in the churchyard. There are two National schools. The Hon. Mrs. Agar is lady of the manor."
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lanhydrock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX084637 (Lat/Lon: 50.441504, -4.699745), Lanhydrock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanhydrock (1806, 1822 Register) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
Lanhydrock parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1811 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.