The parish of Lanivet (Cornish: Lanneves) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by Bodmin, on the east by Bodmin and Lanhydrock, on the south by Lanlivery and Luxulyan, and on the west by Roche and Withiel. Lanivet means the 'Church site (lann), at Neved'. Since Neved means 'a pagan sacred place', this must have been a pre-existing name. This parish is in the geographical centre of Cornwall near the A30 trunk road through Cornwall. At one time Lanivet had eleven copper mines, now all closed. It was on the old 'Saints Way', along which the early Christian saints travelled from Ireland, via Padstow.
The villages are the Churchtown, Lamorick, Gold Bank or Nanstallon, Bokiddick, Tregullon and part of St Lawrence.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 326 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Lanivet (HO107/145), Enumeration Districts 3 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Lanivet (HO107/1904), Enumeration Districts 3a, 3b and 3c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lanivet (RG9/1537), Enumeration Districts 8, 9 and 10c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Lanivet (RG10/2250), Enumeration Districts 8, 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lanivet (RG11/2292), Enumeration Districts 8, 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lanivet (RG12/1816), Enumeration Districts 8, 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. There are two Anglican churches within the parish:
- The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0364; it is dedicated to St Nivet. It is supposed to stand in the very centre of the Cornwall land mass. The present church dates from the 15th century; it comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each comprise six four-centred arches of St Stepherns stone, supported on pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a priest's door, both guarded with iron gates. The tower is of three stories, is strongly buttressed and finished with battlements; it contains six bells. The church was restored in 1864, during which some relics of a previous church were found worked into the walls. A record was found on the dedication of the high altar of a former church in 1338.
- Nanstallon. There is a Mission Church to Bodmin at Nanstallon.
The parish is now part of the Bodmin Team Ministry which is on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist chapels at the Churchtown, Tretoil, and St Lawrence, and Bible Christian chapels at the Churchtown, at Mount Pleasant (to which a cemetery was attached), and at Gold Bank.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Lanivet are: B00049, C023561, C052851/2, E023561, M023561/2/3. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1606 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1656 - 1945, Burials 1670 - 1968
Marriages 1670 - 1965, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms in this parish 1664 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1700 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns in this parish 1754 to 1812 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1608 to 1812, and parish transcripts 1670 to 1912, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages at Lanivet - 1608 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
The parish of Lanivet is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lanivet to another place.
"LANIVET, a parish in the hundred of Pyder, county Cornwall, 2 miles S.W. of Bodmin, its post town. It is a large agricultural parish, situated on the turnpike road from Bodmin to Truro, and contains the hamlets of Bodwanick, Lamorick, Tremore, and St. Lawrence. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in mining. The soil is various, with subsoil slate and dunstone. The living is a rectory 0 in the diocese of Exeter, value £667. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains a font, two crosses, and tombs to the Courtenays. In the churchyard is an ancient Maltese cross. The charities produce about £151 per annum, chiefly arising from the nunnery lands. This sum is. applied in aid of the poor-rates. There is a National school for both sexes. The Bible Christians and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The principal residence is St. Benet's, built out of the ruins of a nunnery, recently restored with the exception of the tower, which remains in a ruined state. The nunnery is of unknown foundation, but supposed to have been subordinate to some foreign house. William Michell, Esq., M.P., and the Rev. William Phillips Flamank are lords of the manor."
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanivet ecclesiastical parish:
- Tremore (Tremor, Tremhor), Grid Reference 013648.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lanivet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX039642 (Lat/Lon: 50.444757, -4.763303), Lanivet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanivet (1718 - 1811) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- An indenture concerning land and property in Lanivet, but naming Edmund John GLYNN of Cardinham, dated 8 November 1811, is on-line.
- Lanivet parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1792 to 1818), Settlement Papers (1679 to 1814) and Bastardy Bonds (1621 to 1795) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.