Lanlivery (Cornish: Lannlivri) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Lanivet and Lanhydrock, on the east by St Winnow from which it is separated by the river Fowey, on the south by St Sampson (Golant), Tywardreath and Luxulyan, and on the west by Luxulyan. The parish name means 'Church site (lann) of unknown name'.
This rather bleak moorland parish is situated above a tributary of the Fowey River, west of Lostwithiel. This was also on the 'Saints Way' from Ireland to France. Although a large parish the population is a quarter of what it was in 1841. It is situated approximately in the centre of Cornwall, the modern parish of Lanlivery encompasses an area of around 5 - 6,000 acres but, being mainly agricultural, its resident population on the electoral roll has shrunk considerably. Sloping gently south from 650 feet inland to around sea level at its most southerly boundary, the parish straddles the old prehistoric trans-peninsula trade route and its modern counterpart the A390, one of the two main trunk roads into the county.
Villages in the parish are: the Churchtown, Redmoor, Sweets House, Milltown and Tangier (the latter is now a suburb of Lostwithiel town).
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 525 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Lanlivery (HO107/145) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Lanlivery (HO107/1904) (Enumeration Districts 3a to 3d), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lanlivery is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. 1871. The 1871 Census of Lanlivery is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lanlivery (RG11/2289), Enumeration Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lanlivery (RG12/1814) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0759 was said to have been dedicated to Saints Manaccus and Dunstan; it is now dedicated to St Bryvyth (Brevita). The present church was built in the 14th century and consists of a nave, an aisle and north and west transepts, the latter being the tower housing the peal of eight bells, the heaviest of which is the tenor bell at just under eighteen hundredweight. The tower, at 97 feet in height, is considered the third highest church tower in Cornwall. Visible from well out at sea in the St. Austell Bay area, it is believed, at one period in its history, to have been used as a Landmark by ships plying the coastal waters. There is a south porch, a transept door and, in the north wall, a blocked priest's door. The arcades have each six four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars.
The restoration completed in 1993 was a major event in the history of the Parish Church. Its roof, the main cause for concern, has been completely renovated. Rotting timber roof trusses were replaced by modern replicas, roof slates were removed and renewed and lead valleys replaced. The exterior pointing of the tower was removed and redone. The interior walls were taken back to the granite and re-rendered During this process a small alcove was discovered in the north wall. It was empty with no indication as to its original purpose. It may have concealed a casket of revered remains in medieval times or possibly documentation connected with the original building of the church, and possibly later removed before replastering. A time capsule recording the restoration and contemporary documentation was placed in the cavity for the information of parishioners in the distant future.
- Non-Conformists. There were Reform Methodist chapels at Redmoor and Ebeneezer, and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Sweet's House.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Lanlivery are: C002142/3, E002141, M002141, P002141. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1583 - 1876.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms c1600 - 1945, Burials c1600 - 1850, Marriages c1600 - 1951, Boyd's Marriage Index 1600 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms in this parish 1644 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- Banns. Banns in this parish 1654 to 1657, 1811 to 1823, and 1906 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore marriages in this parish 1660 to 1812, and parish transcriptions 1644 to 1901, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1600 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages at Lanlivery - 1600 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
The parish of Lanlivery was originally in the Bodmin Registration District from 1st July 1837 until 1894; there were originally sub-districts at Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now all been abolished. From 1894 to 1931, there were several boundary and organisational changes when it became part of Lostwithiel parish. In 1931, along with Luxulyan and Lostwithiel, it became part of the St Austell Registration District. Parishes within the Bodmin district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lanlivery to another place.
"LANLIVERY, a parish in the E. division of the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 2 miles S.W. of Lostwithiel, its post town, and 6 from Bodmin. The parish, which is of large extent, is intersected by the river Fowey, and includes Restormel Castle, formerly the court of the dukes of Cornwall, but now the property of Earl Mount Edgcumbe. The village is wholly agricultural. Granite is extensively quarried for the docks at Plymouth and Portsmouth. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £372 10s., and the vicarial for £304 10s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £228. The church, dedicated to St. Brevita is an ancient granite structure with a square pinnacled tower. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a free' school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have two places of worship."
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanivet ecclesiastical parish:
- Castle (Lantien), Grid Reference 099582.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lanlivery has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Austell Registration district in which the parish now lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX080590 (Lat/Lon: 50.399628, -4.703608), Lanlivery which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanlivery (1704 - 1835) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
Lanlivery parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1683 to 1745 and 1748 to 1776), Settlement Papers (1687 to 1851) and Bastardy Bonds (1721 to 1832) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lanlivery are available on-line.