The parish of Lesnewth, (Cornish: Lysnowydh), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor, and in the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by St Juliot, on the east by St Juliot and Davidstow, on the south by Davidstow, and on the west by Minster. This small thinly populated parish is about six miles east of Tintagel Head. The manor of Lesnewth is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Lesnewth is a small hamlet with few houses, farms and has a church. It is surrounded by farmland and so very peaceful.
Besides the Churchtown, other places include Penpol.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 103 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Lesnewth (HO107/140), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Lesnewth (HO107/1898), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Lesnewth is listed in Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lesnewth (RG9/1515), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Lesnewth (RG10/2218), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lesnewth (RG11/2272), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lesnewth (RG12/1799), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1390 and is now dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. It has been previously dedicated to St Knet. Having become considerably dilapidated, it was taken down and rebuilt in 1866; the characteristic features of the old church - Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular, being carefully preserved. The old church had consisted of a chancel, nave, and north and south transepts. The new church has a chancel, nave, and vestry only. The vestry is separated from the church by a Norman arcade supported on two massive circular piers. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. The belfry consists of five bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Treworrell.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Lesnewth are: C026381, E026381, M026381. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1569 - 1811.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1577 - 1979, Burials c1563 - 1980, Marriages 1569 - 1932, Boyds Marriage Index 1569 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1571 to 1912, and Bishop's transcripts 1682 to 1772, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1725 to 1900 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- Banns. Banns 1759 to 1908 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
Although it was originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Lesnewth is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lesnewth to another place.
"LESNEWTH, a parish in the hundred of Lesnewth, county Cornwall, 5 miles N. of Camelford, its post town, and 15 from Launceston. The parish, which is situated near the Bristol Channel, is wholly agricultural. The soil is a dark loam, upon a subsoil of rock, well adapted both for arable and pasture. The surface is hilly, and the lower lands are watered by several brooks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £190. The church, dedicated to St. Knet, is an ancient stone structure with a square tower containing five bells. It has a carved roof and ancient font. There is a place of worship for Dissenters. Sir J. B. Y. Buller, Bart, M.P., is lord of the manor."
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lawhitton ecclesiastical parish:
- Lesnewth (Lisinwen), Grid Reference 131903.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lesnewth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Camelford Registration District in which the parish originally lay.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX131903 (Lat/Lon: 50.682619, -4.646917), Lesnewth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Lesnewth parish was part of the Camelford Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.