The parish of Lezant, (Cornish: Lannsans), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by South Petherwin and Lawhitton, on the east by the River Tamar which separates it from Bradstone and Dunerton in Devon, on the south by Stoke Climsland and Linkinhorne, and on the west by North Hill, Lewannick and South Petherwin. The parish was probably a church site originally; (Lann) plus personal name of the Saint.

This quiet parish is immediately south of Launceston. Mining, once an important local industry, has ceased in the area and people now tend to work in Launceston or Plymouth.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:

  • The Parish Church - 823 entries
  • Trebullet Methodist Chapel - 267 entries
  • Treburley Methodist Chapel - 70 entries


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3379 and is now dedicated to St Michael. The church of Lezant or Lanzante (i.e. Holy church) was originally dedicated to St Briocus on 25th September 1259. It comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles and a vestry. The arcades have each four obtuse arches of granite supported on monolith pillars of the same material. There is a south porch, over the door of which there is a bracket, and a north door. The tower is of three stages and is finished with battlements and octagonal battlemented turrets, surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. The belfry contained six bells. The church was considerably restored in 1869.
    There was an ancient chapel at Trecarrell dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, and another, supposed to have been at or near the churchtown, dedicated to St Lawrence. Both no longer exist.
  • Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel in the village of Trebollet, the cemetery of which was first used for interment in 1819. There was also another chapel and cemetery at Tregeda. Non-conformist Chapels in the parish are:
    • Rezare Chapel is recorded on the 1841 Tithe Map as a Methodist Chapel, along with its field. The apportionment records it as a Wesleyan Methodists Association Chapel, signed in 1891. However, descendants of members have described it as a Bible Christian Chapel. It had been given the "nickname" of "White Weskit Chapel" as the preacher wore a white waistcoat. The date stone on the cottage is "1887"; it is recorded as 'Rezare Cottage, 1887'.
    • Treburley Chapel is a Free Methodist Chapel; its memorial stone was laid on Thursday 14th July 1880. (Cornish & Devon Post dated 24 July 1880). It is recorded in the 1881 Census as a Free Methodist Chapel and Treburley United Methodists. The 1888 map shows Treburley Methodist Chapel (United). It has recent closed - in the mid-1990s. It is currently being converted into living accommodation. The Sunday School had been demolished by the end of the 20th century!
    • Trebullett Chapel is recorded, in the apportionment of 1891, as a Wesleyan Methodists Chapel and Yard. Its position is marked on Tithe Map, but there is "no" label!! The present Chapel was built in 1871, (date stone). The 1888 map shows Trebullett Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan) as a thriving Chapel.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Lezant are: P002121. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1539 - 1812; it is not thought to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1539 - 1981, Burials 1539 - 1874, Marriages 1539 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1539 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1709 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
  • Marriages. Marriages 1837 to 1910 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).

Civil Registration

The parish of Lezant is in the Launceston Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Lezant which are provided by:



The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"LEZANT, a parish in the N. division of the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 4½ miles S.E. of Launceston, its post town. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, is bounded by the river Inny on the S., and by the Tamar on the E. It contains the villages of Trebollet, Rezare, Trekenna, and the hamlet of Trewarlet. The land is chiefly arable but well wooded. The substratum abounds in mineral wealth, and near Landew is a lead mine. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £406, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Breock, or St. Breage, is an ancient stone structure, with a square pinnacled tower containing six bells. The church contains monuments of the Manatons of Trecarrell, and of the Herles of Landew. There were formerly chapels-of-ease at Trecarrell and Landew, the former dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, and the latter to St. Bridget. There are National and infant schools. The Wesleyans, Reformed Wesleyans, and Baptists have each a place of worship. There are the remains of an unfinished mansion at Trecarrell which was begun by Sir John Trecarrell. The principal residence is Landew, formerly the seat of the Herles."

"TREWARLET, a hamlet in the parish of Lezant, county Cornwall, 2 miles S. of Launceston."



OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.



The Manorial Documents Register (MDR), which is maintained by the Historical Manuscripts Commission, has no note of any manors associated with the parish of Lezant. However, it is believed that there were four Manors in Lezant:

  • Trecarrell Manor, Trebullet (no longer a manor in 1806)
  • Greystone Manor
  • Bottonet Manor.

Additionally, Hexworthy Manor or Barton (in the Parish of Lawhitton), also held land in Lezant, as did Lawhitton Manor.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX342789 (Lat/Lon: 50.586357, -4.343366), Lezant which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law

Lezant parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.



  • Population in 1801 - 610 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 671 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 853 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 841 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 905 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 883 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 815 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 869 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 739 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 680 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 651 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 638 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 605 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 549 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 506 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 495 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 496 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 675 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 759 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 751 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 765 persons

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lezant are available on-line.



The parish comprises 4812 acres of land and 29 acres of tidal water.