"TAMERTON, NORTH (ST. DENIS), a parish, in the union of HOLSWORTHY, hundred of STRATTON, E. division of CORNWALL, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Holsworthy; containing 589 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4775 acres, of which 450 are common or waste; the surface is in general hilly; the soil, though various, is for the most part a poor clayey earth. The River Tamar and the Bude canal run through the parish, parallel with each other, from north to south. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £230; patrons, R.P. Coffin, Esq., and the Heirs of the late Colonel l'Ans; the glebe contains about 20 acres. There is a delapidated chapel at Hornacut." [From Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
The parish of Tamerton is called North Tamerton, (Cornish: Tre war Damer), to distinguish it from Tamerton Folliot in Devon. It is situated in the Hundred of Stratton and Deanery of Trigg Major. The parish is bounded on the north by the detached part of Devon called Bridgerule, and by the parish of Pyworth in Devon, on the east by the Devon parishes of Clawton, Tetcot and Luffincot, on the south by Boyton, and on the west by Week St Mary and Whitstone. This thinly-populated parish is in North Cornwall right on the Devonshire border. It was the only parish in Cornwall that extended onto the east of the River Tamar.
The name is of English origin, meaning 'estate on the River Tamar'. The village and its 15th century church stand above the River Tamar. There was no Churchtown, and the only village was Ragged Hill.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church
In general, the parish of North Tamerton has been enumerated as part of Devon. However, Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office.
The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish].
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of North Tamerton (HO107/151), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of North Tamerton (HO107/1896), Enumeration Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. In 1861, North Tamerton was enumerated as part of the Holdsworthy Registration District (Clawton sub-district), in Devon. The 1861 Census of North Tamerton (RG9/1511), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is also available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. In 1871, North Tamerton was enumerated as part of the Holsworthy Registration District, Clawton sub-district, of Devon. The census was published as part of RG10/2213, as Enumeration Districts 3 and 4.
- In 1881, North Tamerton was enumerated as part of the Holsworthy Registration District, Clawton sub-district, of Devon. The census was published as part of RG11/2268.
- The 1881 Census of the UK can be searched on-line courtesy of familySearch.org.
- 1891. In 1891, North Tamerton was enumerated as part of Clawton in the Holsworthy Registration District of Devon.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3197 and was dedicated to St Denis. It consists of a chancel, nave, and south aisle. The arcade has five depressed four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars. The entrances are a south porch and a north door. The tower is built of granite ashlar. It is 72 feet in height, is battlemented and finished with octagonal, crocketed pinnacles 18 feet in height. The belfry contains five bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel built on Way Farm in 1869.
- Parish Church Registers. The parish church registers of North Tamerton, unusually, continued throughout the Commonwealth period of 1645 - 1660. The register of marriages date from November 1542, the register of baptisms from November 1556, and the register of burials from May 1562. According to Peskett, the original registers, dating from 1556, were, in 1979, still with the incumbent.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for North Tamerton are: C052961, C021572, E052961, M021571, P052961. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1542 - 1837; there is nothing entered into the IGI under Devon (as of Jan 1993).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1560 - 1865, Burials 1560 - 1937, Marriages 1560 - 1962, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre-1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1679 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1733 to 1865 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- There are copies of the registers (christenings 1556-1837, marriages 1542-1837, and burials 1562-1837) at the Devon and Cornwall Record Society Library.
- Banns. Banns 1824 to 1897 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of North Tamerton was originally in the Clawton, sub-district of the Holsworthy Registration District of Devon from 1837 to 1844; it was still enumerated under those arrangements until after the 1861 census. It is now in the Stratton Registration District of Cornwall. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Tamerton to another place.
"NORTH TAMERTON, a parish in the hundred of Stratton, county Cornwall, 8 miles N. of Launceston, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Holsworth. The village is situated on the Devonshire border, near the Bude canal and the river Tamar. The surface is in general hilly, and the soil a cold clay. The living is a donative* in the diocese of Exeter, value £230. The church, dedicated to St. Dennis, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a dilapidated chapel at Hornacot.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in North Tamerton ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which North Tamerton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Stratton Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX299970 (Lat/Lon: 50.74787, -4.413154), North Tamerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- North Tamerton parish was part of the Stratton Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1821 to 1840) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.