Penzance St Paul
The ecclesiastical parish of St Paul, (Cornish: Pennsans Sen Pawl), in Penzance, was located in the southern part of Penzance in Clarence Street. It was created in 1867 out of parts of Penzance, St Mary and a small part of the recently created parish of Newlyn, St Peter. The ecclesiastical parish of Penzance, St Paul was once part of the Madron Chapelry of Penzance, until it became a parish in its own right; is now united with that of Penzance, St Mary, and is once again part of Penzance Borough.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 100 entries.
Census information for this parish (1871 - 1891) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In 1841, Penzance St Paul was enumerated as part of Penzance, which itself was in Madron parish.
- 1851. In 1851, Penzance St Paul was enumerated as part of Penzance, which itself was in Madron parish.
- 1861. In 1861, Penzance St Paul was enumerated as part of Penzance, which itself was in Madron parish.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Penzance, St Paul, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Penzance, St Paul (RG11/2346) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Penzance, St Paul (RG12/1858), Enumeration Districts 19 and 20, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW4730 and was dedicated to St Paul. The church was built in Clarence Street, Penzance, in 1842, at a cost of £5,000, by Rev. Henry Batten, a former curate of Madron, and became a parish church in 1867. It is an edifice of granite in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, west porch and a western bell cote containing one bell; the pulpit and communion rails are carved out of solid blocks of granite: the stained east window was presented at a cost of £400, and there is also a memorial window to the Rev. Henry Batten, and all the other windows are stained. The porch was erected in 1886, and is a memorial to Miss Emily Borlase Bolitho. There are 200 sittings. In 1893, to commemorate the Jubilee of the church, a north aisle and transept were added from the designs by Mr. I.W. Trounsen F.R.I.B.A. architect. The registers dates from the year 1867.
In 1973, the parish combined with Penzance, St Mary to form a United Benefice. Unfortunately, in 1999 the church building was declared redundant and was finally closed on 30th April 2000 due to the mounting cost of staffing and maintenance.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1866 - 1882, Marriages 1867 - 1963.
Penzance St. Paul Registers 1866-1998 (original + microfiche) CRO 1881-1998 P180/1/2.
- LDS Church Records. The LDS Church batch numbers for Penzance are: P002611, Bible Christian Circuit C065301, The Lower Meeting Independent, East Street C065281, Wesleyan Methodists C065291. These are searchable by surname.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1866 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Banns. Banns 1878 to 1898 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1867 to 1900 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penzance St Paul to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Penzance St Paul has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Penzance Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW471305 (Lat/Lon: 50.120207, -5.539641), Penzance St Paul which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Penzance (St Paul) parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Population figures for this parish are included as part of Penzance. However in 1891 there is one records showing a population figure of 6005 persons in Penzance, St Paul's, which in 1901 had become 1272 persons. This casts doubt upon the 1891 figure reflecting only the St Paul ecclesiastical parish.