The parish of Sancreed (Cornish: Eglossancrekres), is named after the holy place upon which the church now stands. There is a legend St Sancreed, patron saint of the parish church, killed his father by accident and, in contrition, lived as a swineherd. This parish is in the centre of the Lands End peninsula. It is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith, and is bounded on the north by St Just, on the east by Madron, on the south by Paul and on the west by St Buryan. Although not on the coast, there is the large stretch of water of the Drift Reservoir to the east of the village, which is now much used by visitors for fishing and bird-watching.
The advowson of Sancreed appears to have been attached originally to the Manor of Bosvenning, held by the Earl of Gloucester. Principal hamlets are the Churchtown, Drift, Sellan, Brane and Newbridge.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
- War Memorial inscriptions for Sancreed parish are separately available on-line on the OPC site, and also on Mark Hattam's site.
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1851 Census of Sancreed (HO107/1919), Enumeration District 2a, 2b and 2c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Sancreed is listed in Volume 29. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre<, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Sancreed (RG9/1596), Enumeration Districts 2 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Sancreed (RG10/2343), Enumeration Districts 2 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Sancreed (RG11/2349), Enumeration Districts 2 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Sancreed (RG12/1860), Enumeration Districts 2 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1901. The 1901 Census of Sancreed (RG13/2256), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW4229 and was dedicated to St Credan (or Sancredus). Although there is a problem as to which St Credan as there were two or more Cornish Saints with this name. Some feel the dedication is to St Credan, a disciple of St Petrock, whose body, according to Leland rests in Bodmin; or others to St Credan, son of Illadham, who subsequently returned to Ireland and settled in County Wicklow.
The circular configuration of the site together with the two old crosses, suggests not only the first church was probably monastic in character, but also that it was surrounded by a collection of huts or cells, housing a community of monks, manual workers and domestics by whom the story of the original founder would have been passed by word of mouth on from generation to generation. There was a Norman church here but the character of this church is only a matter of conjecture. The remains of the Font from this period can still be seen.
The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and north transept. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars; the transept is separated from the nave by two similar arches sustained by a similar pillar. The inner half of the transept is used as a vestry. Entrances are a south porch, a north door and a vestry door; the original priest's door is blocked. The tower is a massive building of two stages and finished with battlements and pinnacles; it was probably designed in the first place for a spire. It was built of granite ashlar in large stones, the courses in the lower half being alternately deep and shallow. It contains three bells.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist chapels at the Churchtown and Newbridge; Bible Christian chapels existed at Drift, Newbridge, Brahan and Grumbler - see also West Penwith Resources information. Further photographs of two of these chapels are available.
LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Sancreed are: C022041/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1566 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1566 - 1835, Burials 1579 - 1973, Marriages 1559 - 1966, Boyd's Marriage Index 1559 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1600 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has placed on-line baptisms as follows:
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1700 to 1834 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- Banns. Details of Banns (and Banns & Marriages) in this parish are available on-line as follows:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1559 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1559 to 1812, and parish marriages 1813 to 1901, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages at Sancreed - 1559 to 1812 are available on-line from the UK Genealogy Archives.
- The OPC has made the following marriages available on-line as follows:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1579 to 1910 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has made the following burials available on-line as follows:
- Burials at Sancreed 1838 to 1852, Surnames are also available on-line courtesy of Gwen Attridge.
- Burials at Sancreed 1853 to 1889 are available on-line courtesy of Diane Donohue.
- Other Records. The OPC has made the following records available:
The parish of Sancreed has been in the Penzance Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sancreed to another place.
"SAN CREED, (or Sancreet), a parish in the hundred of Penwith, county Cornwall, 4 miles S.W. of Penzance, its post town. The parish, which is of large extent and chiefly agricultural, is traversed on the S. by the road from Penzance to the Land's End, and on the N. by that to St. Just. The soil consists of killas upon a subsoil of granite. The substratum abounds in mineral wealth, and granite of excellent quality is found. There are some ancient tin-works on Beacon Hill, and a stream work on Trevenyan Moor, but the latter is now exhausted. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £509 10s. 7d., of which £344 belongs to the vicarage, and the glebe comprises 152 acres, but the greater part is unenclosed. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £265, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Creed, has a square embattled tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments. There were formerly three chapels, of which some traces remain. A Sunday-school is held at the church. There are places of worship belonging to the Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, also a mixed National school for both sexes. Viscount Falmouth is lord of the manor and principal landowner. In the churchyard is an ancient cross, and at Drift are two rude upright stones supposed to mark the grave of some ancient warrior. Near the village of Braham are remains of an ancient castle called Caer-bran, and at a place called Bodinnar is a monument consisting of two concentric walls, the larger 55 feet in diameter.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- There is a genealogical website for the parish.
- West Penwith Resources have also produced a genealogical website for Sancreed.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sancreed has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
The Manorial Documents Register (MDR) maintained by the Historic Manuscripts Commission notes that, so far as can be established, the parish of Sancreed contained the manors of Bosvenning, Sancreed and Tregonebris. The MDR contains the following information for these manors:
- Tregonebris Manor.
Survey and rental 1620 and 1636. In private possession. Enquiries to Cornwall Record Office, Old County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY (ref: Carew Pole, HD/11/336 & 238).
- Bosvenning and Sancreed Manors.
The MDR has no note of manorial documents for Bosvenning or Sancreed.
- Map of the Penzance Registration District in which the parish lies.
- A map showing Sancreed in the context of its neighbours is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW417300 (Lat/Lon: 50.113972, -5.61478), Sancreed which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sancreed parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The Penwith Local History Group aims:
- To encourage and sustain public interest in the history of Penwith to provide mutual support and encouragement to members in their individual research projects, whether related to Penwith or of wider historical interest.
- To work as a group on specific research projects, with the aim of publication to an academic standard.
- To encourage the strong link with the Morrab Library, supporting the Library in its aims and activities.
Entries from the Hearth Tax 1662 - 1664 for Sancreed are available on-line.