St Blazey, (Cornish: Lanndreth), or St Blaise, is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the south and south-west by St Austell, on the north by Luxulyan, and on the east it is separated from Tywardreath by the River Par. The parish is named after Saint Blaise, and had been known as Landrayth until the 16th Century; various spellings of Landrayth such as Landrait may be found. The village lies on the main road to the east of St Austell. It is on the eastern edge of the china clay workings around St Austell and the village probably owes its existence to the industry. It is now a satellite village for workers from St Austell, and is closely linked to St Blazey Gate, which is that part of the parish on the western side towards St Austell. The parish is hilly with some woodland on the valley edges. The parish of Biscovey (Par) was formed out of St Blazey in 1847.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1919 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall FHS offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Blazey (HO107/146), (Enumeration Districts 14 to 18), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project - COCP.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Blazey (HO107/1906) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Blazey (RG9/1546) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Blazey (RG10/2260), Enumeration Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Blazey (RG11/2300), Enumeration Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Blazey (RG12/1821), Enumeration Districts 13 to 17. is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0654 and was dedicated to St Blaise in 1440. It is situated on an eminence, near the south end of the town. The church is a building of granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north and south aisles with the addition of a large school gallery at the west end. It has an embattled tower containing 3 bells, dated 1693, 1740, and 1771. The effigy of St. Blaize is in the chancel window in painted glass, preserved from the former church, and the festival of the Saint is still duly observed on Candlemass Day, (February 3rd); there is a good monument and a fine stained window to the Carlyons of Tregrehan. A monument to Henry Scobell, esq,. of Roselyon, who was the first treasurer and paymaster of the farm tin to Queen Anne, and to Anne, his wife, was erected in 1729; there is also an important genealogical inscription of great length to the Carlyon family; several of the windows are memorials. The church was thoroughly restored in 1839, under the direction of Messrs. Scott and Moffatt.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
There is a separate Anglican church at St Blazey Gate. The parish is now part of the Team Ministry of St Blazey with Par, and there is a parish website available.
- Non-Conformist. There were Chapels for the Wesleyans, Free-Methodists, Primitive Methodists and Bible Christians, in the parish, as well as Leekseed Methodist Chapel, built in 1824.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Blazey are: C053451, E0553451, M053451, P006351. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1608 - 1875.
- The register of baptisms dates from the year 1675; marriages and burials, 1663.
The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1710 - 1970, Burials 1710 - 1945, Marriages 1710 - 1968, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1673, BTs 1608 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1688 to 1805 (Bishop's Transcripts) are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has produced a list of baptisms at St Blaise church 1710 to 1837.
- The Parish Chest have published, on CD, baptisms 1710 to 1843 for this parish.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published, on CD, baptisms 1710 to 1843 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- The OPC has produced a list of marriages at St Blaise church 1710 to 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1688 to 1805 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1860 to 1906 (parish church registers), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has produced a list of burials at St Blaise church 1710 to 1837.
- Burials 1688 to 1805 (Bishop's Transcripts) are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book file format.
The parish of St Blazey has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Blazey to another place.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Blazey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Austell Registration district in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX069550 (Lat/Lon: 50.363149, -4.715798), St Blazey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Wesley Johnston has produced a resource of St Blazey families. This resource contains some 795 families, and includes:
- All baptisms in the register (the baptism register covers 3 Jan 1813 - 1 Dec 1829, plus three from 14 Feb 1836).
- All marriages in the register (the marriage register covers 12 Apr 1813 - 25 Oct 1834, plus one from 1836 and one from 1837). The marriages have revealed several same-name couples, for whom he has undertaken a lot of extra work to make sure that they are as correct as he can make them:
- BORLASE, Sampson and Elizabeth - both with daughters Elizabeth born 1835.
- CORNELIUS, John and Mary.
- ROBINS, Thomas with daughter,Jane.
- STEPHENS, William and Elizabeth.
- Burials for 1813-1821 (the burial register covers 14 Jul 1813 - 23 Nov 1839) - WORK STILL IN PROGRESS.
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Blazey (1784 to 1821 and 1882 to 1887) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- St Blazey parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1765 to 1831, 1867 to 1869, 1745 to 1788) and Bastardy Bonds (1769, 1889) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
The parish of Par was formed partially from this parish in 1847.