1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ST. BUDEAUX, a parish in the hundred of Roborough, in the county of Devon, but extending also into the East hundred, in the county of Cornwall, 4 miles to the N. of Plymouth, its post town. It is situated in a beautiful country, on the banks of the river Tamar, just below its confluence with the Tavy. The Tavistock branch of the South Devon railway passes a little to the eastward of this place. The village is nearly opposite to Saltash, where the Tamar is crossed by a ferry. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, value with that of Knackersknowle annexed, £130, in the gift of the Vicar of St. Andrew's, Plymouth. The church, which stands on a hill commanding a good view of the Tamar and the surrounding country, was founded by the Budocksheds, a family who long held the manor, and whose monuments, with several others, are in the church. Here is a free school for boys and girls, endowed in 1767 by Peter M. Docton, which has a revenue of about £90 per annum, for which 12 children of each sex are educated and clothed. A castle formerly stood here, the seat of the Budocksheds.