St Mewan, (Cornish: Sen Mewen), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north and east by St Austell, on the south by St Ewe, and on the west by St Stephen-in-Brannel. This parish is on the western boundary of the town of St Austell; it is a parish composed of villages and detached residences on the high road to Truro. It is named after St Mewan, the Celtic saint who founded a monastery in Brittany (now St Meen). He is believed to have been an aristocrat of south-east Wales and related to St Samson.
The pricipal villages are: Sticker, Polgooth and Trewoon.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 661 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Mewan (HO107/146), Enumeration Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Mewan (HO107/1908), Enumeration Districts 2a, 2b and 2c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Mewan (RG9/1551), Enumeration Districts 12 to 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Mewan (RG10/2271), Enumeration Districts 12 to 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Mewan (RG11/2305), Enumeration Districts 12 to 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Mewan (RG12/1825), Enumeration Districts 12 to 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9951; it is dedicated to St Mewanus. The church of St Mewan is an ancient building supposed to date from the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north transept, south aisle with porch. The arcade consists of three four-centred arches of St Stephen's porcelain stone, with pillars of the same material. The tower of two stages, strongly buttressed on the square, with a low pyramidal roof of slate; it contains five bells, all recast in 1748. the stained east window was placed in 1874 in memory of F Stephens esq. of Hembal, and there are five other stained windows. There are various tablets commemorating, and tombs to, the families of Hocker, Oliver, Carws, Borlase and others. The church was thoroughly restored in 1854. The register dates from the year 1693.
The parish is now part of the Team Ministry of Mevagissey and St Mewan. Details of the modern Anglican parish of St Mewan are on-line.
A Mission Church was built at Sticker in 1876; details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Trewoon, Sticker, and Polgooth; there is also a chapel for the United Methodist Free Church at Treloweth, which has an on-line website.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Mewan are: C021781/2, E053231, M053231. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of the parish is 1607 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1693 - 1978, Burials 1693 - 1962, Marriages 1693 - 1970, Boyd's Marriage Index 1607 - 1673, BTs 1607 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1682 to 1770 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1813 to 1829 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1692 to 1840 for this parish.
- Marriages 1682 to 1770 (Bishop's transcripts),and 1693 to 1711 and 1837 to 1906 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1607 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1682 to 1788 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1693 to 1925 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has transcribed burials at St Mewan 1745 to 1752.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of St Mewan has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Mewan to another place.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Mewan ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Mewan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Austell Registration district in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW984530 (Lat/Lon: 50.342312, -4.834062), St Mewan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The webpages of some St Mewan families. which are being researched are detailed on-line.
St. Mewan Parish News, from the West Briton newspaper, is available on-line.
St Mewan parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.