The parish of St Pinnock is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by St Neot and Liskeard, on the east by Liskeard and Duloe, on the south by Lanreath, and on the west by Bradock (Broad Oak). There is a reference to a St Pynnock in 1395 but not much else is known of this saint who gave his name to this parish west of Liskeard.
The small village of St Pinnock is south of the A38 between Liskeard and Lostwithiel. The villages are the Churchtown, East Taphouse, and Penfrane or Penvrane.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Gravestone Photographic Resource project have recorded the following:
- St Pinnock Churchyard.
- Connon Methodist Cemetery, St Pinnock.
- Some transcriptions from the St Pinnock churchyard are available on the Cornish Cemeteries site. The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 475 entries
- Connon Methodist Chapel - 307 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Pinnock (HO107/153), Enumeration Districts 16 and 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Pinnock (HO107/1902), Enumeration Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Pinnock (RG9/1530), Enumeration Districts 16 and 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Pinnock (RG10/2240), Enumeration District 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Pinnock (RG11/2286), Enumeration District 16, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Pinnock (RG12/1811), Enumeration Districts 16 and 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2063 and was dedicated to St Pinnock (Pynocus). It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The arcade has four four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars with caps of Pentewan stone. The entrances are a south porch and a priest's door. The tower has three low stages, is buttressed on the square, and terminates with battlements and pinnacles; it contains four bells. The churchyard is entered through a lych gate.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Bethel, and a United Methodist Free Church chapel at Connon.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Pinnock are: P021791. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1682 - 1772.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1566 - 1978, Burials 1546 - 1896, Marriages 1539 - 1948, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1813 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD baptisms 1738 to 1840 for this parish.
- Banns. Banns 1835 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line marriage records for St Pinnock parish 1813 to 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1539 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of St Pinnock has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Pinnock to another place.
"ST PINNOCK, a parish in the hundred of West, county Cornwall, 4 miles S.W. of Liskeard, its post town, and 6 E. of Lostwithiel. The village, which is small and chiefly agricultural, is situated on the great western Tori from Plymouth to Truro and Falmouth. There is a silver and lead mine at Herotsfoot, which, after having been abandoned for some years, has recently been reopened. Stone of good quality for building is quarried. The soil is light, and rather barren, resting upon a subsoil of rock. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £285, and the glebe consists of about 30 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £285. The church is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing four bells. There are chapels for Bible Christians and Calvinistic Methodists, also a free school and a Sunday-school, the last in connexion with the church.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Pinnock ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Pinnock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Liskeard Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX200632 (Lat/Lon: 50.440944, -4.536581), St Pinnock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
St Pinnock parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.