The parish of Stithians (or Stythians), (Cornish: Sen Stedhyans), is in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north by Gwennap, on the east by Perranarworthal and St Gluvias, on the south by Mabe and Constantine, and on the west by Wendron. The name is taken from the dedication of the church to St Stithian. The little River Kennel (Tretheage) rises near Carn Meneles and intersected the parish. In the 19th century, the river worked a number of flour mills, and machinery at a foundry and paper works. On its course into Restronguet Creek, it was thought to have turned forty water wheels.
Stithians is bordered in the north by the old tin mining area of Camborne and Redruth, to the south by stone quarries and to the west by the large 300-odd acre Stithians Reservoir. The parish is mainly an agricultural one which is located south of the Gwennap mining area and north of the quarrying areas of Rame and Longdown. About three hundred acres of Stithians Reservoir lie to the west of the village and now offers recreation such as fishing, sailing and bird watching. Stithians is well known for the annual Agricultural Show held in mid-July.
The principal villages are the Churchtown, Crellow, Carnmeor, Menerdue, Penhalurick, Penhalvean, Tregolls, Trembroath, Tresevern, Foundry, and Goonlaze.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841.The 1841 Census of Stithians (HO107/139), Enumeration Districts 26 to 29, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Stithians (HO107/1914), Enumeration Districts 1, 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Stithians is listed in Volume 34. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- The 1861 Census of Stithians (RG9/1578), Enumeration Districts 24 to 27, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Stithians (RG10/2314) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Stithian (RG11/2329), Enumeration Districts 21 to 24, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Stithian (RG12/1845), Enumeration Districts 17 to 20, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7337 and was dedicated to St Stithians (Stedianus). It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The chancel was restored in 1862. The south arcade has six four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars; the north has five segmental arches on low monolith granite pillars. The entrances are a north porch, a south door and a priest's door. The tower is built of granite ashlar. It has three stages, is buttressed and embattled, and surmounted at the angles by panelled, embattled, and crocketed pinnacles, which spring from angel corbels. The belfry contained four bells.
There were two Wesleyan Methodist chapels near the Churchtown, one of which had a cemetery, and another at Penhalvean. The United Methodist Free Church had a chapel near the Churchtown and another at Foundry.
The parish of Stithians has been linked with the village of Perran-ar-worthal since the 12th century and although they are only one parish they operate as two, both serving populations in excess of two thousand souls. In the late 1970s the parish of Gwennap was added to the benefice, and the three churches are now served by a Vicar, a NSM Curate, a lay reader and a retired priest.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels in this parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Stithians are: C053251/2, E016841, M016841, P016841, Wesleyan Methodist chapel C065061. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1597 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1656 - 1983, Burials 1658 - 1876, Marriages 1690 - 1982, Boyd's Marriage Index 1598 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1598 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1676 to 1716 (Bishop's transcripts), and parish transcripts 1656 to 1779, 1780 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has provided baptisms at Stithians on line as follows:
- Baptisms at St Sithians in the Falmouth Circuit 1837-1861 is available.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1740 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1598 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- The OPC has provided marriages at Stithians on line as follows:
- Phillimore's marriages 1614 to 1812, and parish transcripts 1813 to 1900, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
- The OPC has provided burials at Stithians on line as follows:
- Burials 1676 to 1711 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1710 to 1901, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Stithians was originally in the Redruth Registration District. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have now been abolished. It is now part of the Falmouth Registration District. Parishes in this registration district were: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The Superintendant Registrar of Falmouth can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stithians to another place.
- The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Stithians ecclesiastical parish:
- Tregoose (Tricoi, Trecut), Grid Reference 752371.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stithians has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Falmouth Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW733370 (Lat/Lon: 50.189429, -5.177222), Stithians which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1522 Military Survey & Loan for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians, is available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- The 1535 Tinner's Muster Roll for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians, is available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- The 1569 Military Muster for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians, is also available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
Stithians parish was part of the Falmouth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Wills & Admons for Stithian parish, 1665-1729 are available on-line.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Stithians are available on-line.
- The 1524/25 Subsidies for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- The Subsidy of 1543 for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians is available on-line.
- The 1660 Poll Tax Return for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians is available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- The 1662 - 1689 Hearth Tax List for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians, is also available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
The 1834 List of Eligible Voters for the Cornish Parish of St Stithians is available on-line courtesy of the OPC.