Tresmere, (Cornish: Trewasmeur), (which is now spelled in English 'Tresmeer'), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Tremaine, and North Petherwin, on the east by Egloskerry, on the south by Laneast, and on the west by Treneglos. The origin of name is uncertain. It is situated in north Cornwall near the Devonshire border. Tresmere is within the manor of Werrington.

Besides the Churchtown, the only village is: Three Hammers.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 175 entries.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2387 and was dedicated in September 1505 to St Winwolus, who was the first Abbot of Landevenac in France; he is said to have died in AD 504. It is now dedicated to St Nicholas.
    The structure is simple, containing only a chancel and nave. By the middle of the 19th century, this had become increbibly decayed. There are a south porch and an unused north door. The tower was of two stages and finished with a plain parapet. Ecclesiastically the parish is now part of Egloskerry, North Petherwin, Tremaine and Tresmere.
  • Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians had a chapel at Three Hammers, with a cemetery attached.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Tresmere are: C0221672, P021671. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1625 - 1875.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1625 - 1979, Burials 1673 - 1979
    Marriages 1574 - 1908, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BT's 1597 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms. Baptisms 1625 to 1910 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.

Civil Registration

The parish of Tresmere is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.


Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Tresmere which are provided by:





    • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
    • The OPC has transcribed:
      • Births & Baptisms for 1813-1901.
      • Marriages for 1575-1900.
      • Burials for 1689-1905.
      • Monumental Inscriptions at Rehoboth Methodist Church 1862-2001.
      • Information in Kellys Directories 1856-1937.
      NOTE: As a whole, the data goes far beyond the coverage provided by the IGI. Not all entries are complete and many early records are very hard to read.


    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX234882 (Lat/Lon: 50.666758, -4.501052), Tresmere which are provided by:


    Poor Houses, Poor Law

    Tresmere parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.



    • Population in 1801 - 129 persons
    • Population in 1811 - 154 persons
    • Population in 1821 - 173 persons
    • Population in 1831 - 171 persons
    • Population in 1841 - 182 persons
    • Population in 1851 - 175 persons
    • Population in 1861 - 148 persons
    • Population in 1871 - 165 persons
    • Population in 1881 - 172 persons
    • Population in 1891 - 184 persons
    • Population in 1901 - 182 persons
    • Population in 1911 - 191 persons
    • Population in 1921 - 164 persons
    • Population in 1931 - 159 persons
    • Population in 1951 - 145 persons
    • Population in 1961 - 150 persons
    • Population in 1971 - 159 persons
    • Population in 1981 - 160 persons
    • Population in 1991 - 178 persons
    • Population in 2001 - 216 persons
    • Population in 2011 - 271 persons


    The parish comprises 1490 acres of land.