The parish of Trewen, (Cornish: Trewynn), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor, and the Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Egloskerry, on the east by St Thomas-by-Launceston, on the south by South Petherwin and Lewannick, and on the west by Altarnun and Laneast. The origin of the parish name is probably from the Cornish for 'white farm'.
The parish is situated on the edge of Bodmin Moor to the west of Launceston. The only village is Piper's Pool.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions
- The Parish Church - 125 entries.
- Pipers Pool Methodist Chapel - 46 entries.
- There is a granite slab in the churchyard inscribed "Ralph Honey was buryed the xviii of May 1596".
- Pictures of some gravestones from Trewen church are available on-line.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Trewen (HO107/134), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- It has also been filmed by the LDS church - Film No. 241258.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Trewin (HO107/1899), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1861 Census of Trewen (RG9/1517), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Trewen (RG10/2222), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Trewen (RG11/2274), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Trewen (RG12/1801), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2583 and was dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. The church is an ancient granite building in the Early Perpendicular style, which was restored in 1863/1864; it comprises a chancel, nave, and north aisle. The arcade consists of four low, four-centred arches supported on granite pillars. The entrance is a south porch; a north door has been blocked. A bell-turret at the west-end of the church contains one bell. The register of baptisms date from 1616, and marriages and burials from 1617.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Piper's Pool.
- LDS Church Records. This parish is NOT included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1616 - 1979, Burials 1616 - 1979, Marriages 1617 - 1953, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1675, BTs 1608 - 1675.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1616 to 1905 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Trewen is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Trewen to another place.
"TREWEN, a parish in the N. division of East hundred, county Cornwall, 5 miles S.W. from Launceston, its post town, and 11 from Camelford. The village is situated on the river Inny. The manor was formerly held by St. German's Priory. The South Petherwin hounds meet in this parish. The substratum abounds in slate and limestone, the latter being extensively worked at Trenalt. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of South Petherwin, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a National school for both sexes at Trenalt. Fairs are held on 1st May and 10th October."
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Trewen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Launceston Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX252835 (Lat/Lon: 50.624964, -4.472337), Trewen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Trewen parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.