Veryan, (Cornish: Elerghi), (sometime called St Veryan is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Cornelly, and Cuby-with-Tregony, on the east by Cuby and St Michael Caerhays, on the south by the sea, and on the west by Philleigh and Ruan Lanihorne. Veryan was originally mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as the manor of Elerkey, which name was derived from Elerk, the Cornish for 'swan'. This manor also included that of Ruan-Lanihorne. The present name is a corruption of St Symphorian, the patron saint of the parish church, which in 1679 had become St Verian. The parish of Veryan stretches from the south coast of Cornwall nearly to Tregony; it contains Veryan Churchtown, Veryan Green, Portloe, Carne, Treviskey, and Treartha, and many other small hamlets and farms. The village is well known for the five round houses built in the early 19th century by the Reverend Jeremiah Trist; these were built for his daughters without any corners for the devil to 'lurk in'.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the parish Church .
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1821. In 1821, a parish census was taken by the authorities. This Census consisted of the names of all the Household Heads, their place of residence, their occupations, the genders and approximate ages of the head and the rest of the household. The age was given as 20+ for a 25 year old person or 50+ for a 59 year old person. The results are on-line.
- The 1841 Census of Veryan (HO107/148) (Enumeration Districts 6 to 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Veryan (HO107/1909), (Enumeration Districts 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The OPC has also made the 1851 Census of Veryan available on-line.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Veryan is listed in Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1871. The OPC has made the 1871 Census of Veryan available on-line.
- Anglican. There are two Anglican churches in the parish:
- Parish Church. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9139. In 1110 a church at Veryan was given to an order of Cluniac monks who later dedicated it to St. Symphorian, a French martyr. The earliest architecture of the present church dates to about the 13th century, but the walls and roof were completely rebuilt in 1847-50. The church comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and a south transept. The arcade consists of eight pointed arches of porcelain stone supported on pillars of the same naterial. The entrances are a south porch, a west porch, and a north door. There is the head of an ancient Celtic cross set over the arch of the south porch. The tower is situated on the south side of the church and adjoins the transept. It is 60 feet high, has three stages, and contained three bells and a clock.
- Portloe. There was a Mission Church of Veryan Parish Church, which is located in Portloe. It is dedicated to All Saints.
- Non-Conformist. There were Bible Christian chapels at Portlo, Port Holland, and at Ebenezer; there was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Trewartha.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Veryan are: C022581, C053271, E022581, M022581. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of the parish is 1602 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1683 - 1966, Burials 1683 - 1974, Marriages 1683 - 1974, Boyd's Marriage Index 1602 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1602 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1681 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The baptisms of the St Mawes Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, taken from LDS film 2276204, images 1789-1989 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints) are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC. These records relate to the whole of the Roseland Peninsula including St Mawes, St Just in Roseland, St Anthony in Roseland, Gerrans, Portscatho, Philleigh, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1730 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- Transcription of the baptisms of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit 1838-1907, taken from LDS film 2276210 images 1913-2413 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints). These records relate to several parishes close to Mevagissey including Gorran, Veryan, St Ewe, St Austell, Gerrans, St Just-in-Roseland, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- Banns. Banns 1754 to 1811, and 1823 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore marriages 1676 to 1812, marriages 1813 to 1846, and indexes of marriages 1683 to 1754, 1754 to 1812, and 1839 to 1906, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages at Veryan - 1676 to 1812 are also available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1602 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- The Cornwall Parish Registers Index contains Marriages 1676 to 1722 for this parish. The index is searcheable by surname.
The parish of Veryan has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Veryan to another place.
"VERYAN, a parish in the W. division of Powder hundred, county Cornwall, 4 miles S.W. from Tregoney, its post town, and 12 from Truro. The village is situated in a deep valley in the midst of hills, and near Veryan Bay, in the English Channel, by which it is bounded on the S. Veryan is mentioned in Domesday Book as Eterchy, at which period it was held by the Earl of Mortaigne. It includes the fishing cove of Portloe, and is traversed by the road from Tregoney to St. Mawes. Blue slate, lime, and manganese exist. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £339, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Ann of Sephori, or St. Symphoriana, contains a sculptured font, dating from 1100, and several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum. There are schools for both sexes and chapels for the Wesleyans, Independents, and Bible Christians."
"PORTH-LOE, a village in the parish of Veryan, hundred of West Powder, county Cornwall, 3 miles S. of Trigony, and 8 S. by E. of Truro. It as situated- on Veryan Bay in the English Channel."
- OPC Assistance.
- Persons born in Veryan but living elsewhere are known as "Strays". Veryan 'Strays' found in the 1881 Census are available on-line at:
- People who lived in Veryan Parish at some time between 1821 and 1891 but were born outside the Parish are also listed on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Veryan ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which Veryan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW916395 (Lat/Lon: 50.21904, -4.922649), Veryan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The OPC has researched the histories of the 16 men who are named on the War Memorial at Veryan - men who had died while on active service during World War I. These are now on-line. He also lists all the men of the Parish of Veryan who served in the Great European War, 1914 - 1919 on the website.
All people who spent time in Veryan, 1683-1900 are listed. This information is taken from the Church index of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials and from the Census returns. Note that the dates of birth are actually the dates of baptism if there is a full date (day, month,year); otherwise the date of birth is approximate.
Veryan parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Veryan are available on-line.