CROSTHWAITE, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CROSTHWAITE, a parish partly in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, and partly in Allerdale-above Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, half a mile N.W. of Keswick, and 13 miles S.E. of Cockermouth. The Penrith, Keswick, and Cockermouth railway is at present in course of construction. This extensive parish, which is 10 miles long by 10 broad, comprises the townships of Braithwaite, Coledale or Portingale, Castlerigg, and Underskiddaw, and the chapelries of Borrowdale, Newlands, Thornthwaite, St. John's, Keswick, and the hamlet of Wythburn. It also comprehends the beautiful vale of Keswick, with its handsome villas and pleasant hamlets, and the lakes of Derwentwater, and Thirlemere, including some of the most magnificent scenery of the Lake district. The river Derwent runs through the rich in meadows of Borrowdale, which is well wooded up the mountain slopes on either side, sometimes to the height of 300 or 500 feet. Further up is Rosthwaite, where three vales, called Stonethwaite, Seatoller, and Seathwaite, meet; the first leads to Langdale, the second to Buttermere, and the third to Westdale. There are many rich mines of copper and lead, though the celebrated mine of plumbago, called Giller Coom, is now worked out. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and in the mines. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £430, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Kentigern, is an ancient fabric, roofed with slate. It contains a sculptured hexagonal font. There are also the following district churches or chapelries: St. John's, Keswick, a perpetual curacy, value £200, in the patronage of two trustees; Borrowdale, a perpetual curacy,* value £90, in the patronage of the Vicar of Crossthwaite; Grange, a perpetual curacy, value £30, in the patronage of Miss Heathcote; St. John's in the Vale, a perpetual curacy, value £63, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale and landowners alternately; Wythburn, a perpetual curacy, value £82, in the patronage of the vicar; Newlands, a perpetual curacy, value £90, in the patronage of the vicar; and Thornthwaite, a perpetual curacy,* value £140, in the patronage of the Vicar of Crossthwaite, and the Incumbent of St. John's, Keswick. There is a grammar school with an income from endowment of £100; also National and other schools. The parochial charities amount to about £250, besides other charities, which produce £85; an unendowed schoolhouse in St. John's chapelry, and grazings in the parish for fourteen cows. There are two saline springs near the source of the Derwent." "ABOVE-DERWENT, a township in the parish of Crosthwaite, Allerdale ward, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles W. of Keswick. It is situated near the foot of Derwent-water, and commands an extensive view of the lake, with the surrounding hills." "BRAITHWAITE, a township in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 3 miles to the W. of Keswick. It lies near the northern extremity of Derwentwater, at the foot of the lofty Whinlatter Fells, from which there is a magnificent prospect over the surrounding district of mountain and lake. Some of the villagers are employed in the woollen manufacture, and in working the lead-mines." "BRIERY-COTTAGES, an extra-parochial district in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, near Keswick. It is joined with the district of Greta Mills." "COLEDALE, (or Portingscale), a township in the parish of Crosthwaite, in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 1½ mile N.W. of Keswick, its post town. The heights command good views of the Bassenthwaite and Derwent lakes." "GRETA MILLS, an extra parochial place in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles from Keswick. It is situated on the Greta river, a tributary of the Derwent, and is united with Briery Cottages. Greta Bank and Greta Hall are the principal residences." "LANGTHWAITE, a village in the parish of Crosthwaite, county Cumberland, 6 miles S.E. of Cockermouth. It is situated on Crummock Water, in the midst of lake scenery." "LOWTHWAITE, a hamlet in the parish of Crosthwaite, county Cumberland, 3 miles E. of Keswick, and 21 S. of Carlisle. It is situated on the river Greta, at the bottom of Derwentwater." "PORTINGSCALE, (or Coledale), a township in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2 miles W. of Keswick. It is situated at the foot of Derwentwater, with a prospect of that and the adjacent lakes." "ROUGHA-BRIDGE, in the parish of Crosthwaite, county Cumberland, 2 miles S.E. of Keswick, and 23 S.W. of Carlisle. It is situated at the bottom of Derwentwater, and has a view over the vale of the Greta, with Skiddaw, Saddleback, and Helvellyn in the distance." "UNDERSKIDDAW, a township in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 6 miles N.N.W. of Keswick, close to Skiddaw."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]