"STANWIX township comprises an area of 495 acres which are assessed to the poor at £5,530. Its name is highly suggestive whilst the surrounding villages were composed of clay dabins, a mode of building as we have already seen but recently discontinued, there was here on the banks of the Eden a town of small dwellings, Stanwic A.S. 'stone town', and therefore one of considerable consequence at an early period." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- The Parish of Stanwix, Woods, J.R., 1891, O.S. 11
- An account of the Church History of Stanwix, transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England, Stanwix, St. Michael's (CRO Reference: PR117)
Church of England, Houghton (CRO Reference: PR184)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1662-1966 1693-1968 1754-1983 1662-1915 1668-1884
Methodists, Houghton (Wes):
Baptisms Marriage Burial Bishops Trans 1841-1911 1868-1992 1841-1921 1840-1877 Baptisms Chapel Registers 1894-1941
- A Description of Stanwix transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Stanwix from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanwix to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stanwix has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY400571 (Lat/Lon: 54.904998, -2.937267), Stanwix which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Stanwix fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.