Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884
History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, comprising Its Ancient and Modern History; A General View of its Physical Features; Agricultural Condition, Mines and Minerals; Statistics, &c., &c.
by T.F. Bulmer, T. Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884. Transcription by Don Noble © 1997
Is about two miles in length and one and a half in breadth, and is bounded on the north and east by the river Eden, and on the south and west by the parish of Wetheral. It is divided into two townships, Aglionby and Warwick, whose united area is 1,858 acres, rateable value £3,858, and population 320. The soil is rich and fertile, consisting principally of sand or loam. WARWICK township contains 1,294 acres, assessed at £2,826. The Manor of Warick was given by Hubert de Vallibus to Odard, the first lord Corby, as a dependent manor of the barony of Gilsland. Odard had two sons, Osbart, who had Corby, and William, whose second son Robert, afterwards inherited Corby, as his eldest son John did Warwick, where his descendants resided till 1772, when Francis Warwick, Esq., died without issue, and was succeeded by his only surviving sister and heiress, Anne Warwick, after whose decease the manor passed to Ralph Maddison, Esq., of Gateshead, near Newcastle, who died without issue in 1778, when John Maddison entered into possession, and also died without issue in 1784. The manor then became the property of Robert Bonner, Esq., who, in 1792, by His Majesty's royal licence, took the name of Warwick only. There are now only four customary tenants in this manor, who pay a twenty penny fine upon the death of the lord, or change of tenant, and a heriot upon the death of each tenant. Warwick village is pleasantly situated on the west bank of the Eden, four miles east of Carlisle. A fine stone bridge here crosses the river near the foot of an eminence, upon which are the remains of large breast works of earth, supposed to have been raised to guard the pass during the days when Scottish Mosstroopers made such frequent incursions into the county. Camden gives a Roman origin to these earthworks, and conjectures that Warwick was the Virosidium of the Notitia, which was garrisoned by the sixth cohort of the Nervii, but neither altar nor inscribed stone has been found to corroborate the assumption. But whatever may have been their origin our Saxon forefathers gave the village a name indicative of the presence of these fortifications, Waerinywic, the fortified place. The Normans, unable to produce the rough gutteral sounds that fell so glibly from the Saxon tongue, named it Warthwick. AGLIONBY. The township bearing this name is of very limited extent, comprising only some 563 acres, of which the rateable value is £1,145. It derives its name from the family who held the manor for nearly 800 years, and who trace their descent from Walter Auguillon, who is said to have come to England with the Conqueror in 1066. The last heir male of the family, Christopher Aglionby, died in 1785, and was succeeded by his nephew, H. A. Bateman, Esq., who adopted the name of Aglionby. The present lord of the manor is C. A. Aglionby, of Virginia, U.S.A., but the following are the principal landowners, Messrs. William Maxwell, John Bond, Christopher D. Thompson, John Carlyle Jackson, Samuel Harper, and Henry Dobinson, Esq., Stanwix.Extract from History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T. Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
[Transcribed by Don Noble on 24 Nov 1997. ]