You will find the Local Studies and Family History section of the Bakewell Library a useful assistant to your search. The Library is normally open six days a week and is on Granby Road.
- BRIGHTON, Trevor - Bakewell: The Ancient Capital of The Peak. Halsgrove, 2005. ISBN 1-84114-419-3.
- HUDSON, Paul - Ann Summers : Creator of the World Famous Bakewell Pudding. Pynot Publishing, 2008. ISBN 978-0-9552251-7-8.
- ROBBINS, Linda and DRAPER Lesley - The Book of the Bakewell Show. Halsgrove, 2003. ISBN 1-84114-310-0.
- TAYLOR, Keith - Bakewell in Old Photographs. Country Books of Little Longstone, 2009. ISBN 978-1-906789-12-1.
- TUFFREY, Peter - Bakewell and the White Peak. Tempus, 2003. ISBN 0-7524-3042-4.
- Bakewell Municipal Cemetery was founded in 1858 as a 3.5 acre parcel and lies a few hundred yards south of the parish church on Yeld Road.
- The cemetery had one mortuary chapel for Church of England members and one for non-conformists.
- The local Urban District Council holds all burials records, but these may be viewed by appointment only. They will NOT do e-mail lookups for you.
- David SMITH provides a photograph of a portion of The cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.
- N. CHADWICK has a photograph of one of the Cemetery Chapels on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2015.
- N. CHADWICK also has a photograph of the Cemetery entrance and lodge on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2015.
- Graham HOGG has a close-up shot of one of the Cemetery Chapels on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2012.
- The parish was in the Bakewell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 183 1851 H.O. 107 / 2149 1861 R.G. 9 / 2538 thru 2540 & 2545 1891 R.G. 12 / 2773 & 2774
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The original Christian church was founded here in 920.
- The present Anglican church was built in the 12th and 13th centuries.
- The Vernon Chapel was added to the south transept circa 1360.
- The tower and spire were added at the end of the 14th century or beginning of the 15th century.
- The church underwent extensive repairs in 1841.
- The church chancel was thoroughly restored in 1881.
- David DUNFORDT has a photograph of a 9th century Saxon Cross in the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2004.
- The Vernon family of Haddon Hall were the providers of much of the funding for building Bakewell Church, including their own "Vernon Chapel". The postcard shows the monument to Sir John MANNERS who died in 1611, and his wife Dorothy VERNON, of Haddon Hall, daughter of Sir George VERNON, the so called "King of the Peak". It is sited at the north end of the Chapel; at the opposite end is a similar monument to their son Sir George MANNERS (d. 1623), and his wife Grace PIERREPOINT - "Grace, Lady Manners" who founded the Lady Manners Grammar School. The Chapel also contains the tomb of an earlier John MANNERS who died in 1477.
- The church seats 700.
- Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2010.
- Bill HENDERSON also has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
- The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
- Rosemary LOCKIE has a transcription of A Day in the Peak on her Wishful-thinking website, covering Bakewell Church and Haddon Hall.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1614 and is in bad condition.
- A CD containing a transcription of The Parish Registers of All Saints Church is available for purchase from Valerie NEAL.
- We have a pop-up window of Bakewell burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Bakewell.
- The Derbyshire Record Office tells us that the parish register includes the townships of Nether Haddon and Over Haddon. It formerly also included the townships of Great Rowsley (until 1855-60), Hassop (until c.1910), and Harthill (until c.1939).
- Here is a list of Bakewell Parish Registers available on Microfilm from LDS Family History Libraries. Film Numbers are reproduced on GENUKI by kind permission of the Genealogical Society of Utah:
|Parish registers, 1614-1973.||Microfilm Number|
Marriages, 1614-1770; Banns, 1653-1660
Banns, 1777, 1815-1821
|Baptisms, 1821-1847, 1841-1842
Marriages, 1895-1936 (to 25 Apr. 1936)
|Marriages, 1936-1944 (from 11 Apr. 1936)
Burials, 1901-1918, 1929, 1973
|Bishop's transcripts, 1614-1872.||Microfilm Number|
|Baptisms, marriages, and burials, 1614-1812||0422183|
|Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1813-1837
Baptisms and burials, 1838-1858; 1867-1872
- The Baptists had a chapel here by 1792. A record of baptisms exist from 1792 to 1809.
- A Congregationalist Chapel in Buxton Road was built in 1809, was rebuilt in 1840, and closed in 1948.
- The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Matlock Street was founded in 1807 and built in 1866.
- The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Water Street was built in 1891 and closed 1961.
- Eirian EVANS has a photograph of the Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
- The Catholics had a chapel here in 1816. The new Catholic Church was originally built in 1890 on Granby road.
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the Catholic Church of the English Martyrs on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
- The Quakers (Society of Friends) had a Meeting House here on Chapel Lane built in 1853. The DRO holds a Burial Register for 1868-1895.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Bakewell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
"BAKEWELL, a market town and township, in the extensive parish of its name, and in the hundred of High Peak, of which district it is termed the metropolis; is 153 miles from London 36 S.E. from Manchester, 25 N.N.W. from Derby, 16 N. from Ashbourn, 12 W. from Chesterfield, 12 E. by S. from Buxton, 10 N.W. from Matlock, and 6 N. from Winster. Bakewell is an ancient town, situate at the foot of a hill, on the western bank of the river Wye, whose stream abounds with trout and other fish affording ample reward to the patience of the angler; while the rich and romantic scenery, enhanced in beauty by the noble appearance of wood-clad hills, present strong and almost not to be resisted inducements, to the visitors of Buxton and Matlock, to tarry a time in this vicinity."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish of Bakewell is one of the largest in the county - at one point covering 9 Chapelries and 14 townships.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Bakewell entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- You can find a modern guide to Bakewell at the Visitors Guide to Bakewell.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bakewell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bakewell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Bakewell has been a place of importance at least since Saxon times when Edward the Elder commanded a fortress to be built in the vicinity.
- On the hills above the Wye River, the earthworks of Ball Cross indicate an Iron Age date.
- A market was established here in 1254.
- The bridge over the River Wye was constructed in the 13th century and is now a Grade I listed structure with British Heritage.
- Transcription of section of Lysons' Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817, for Bakewell by Barbarann AYARS.
- The Bakewell Pudding - for those who aren't familiar with the dish, it might more aptly be called a Tart, having a pastry base, which is smeared lightly with jam, and then covered with an almond-flavoured filling, and baked in a medium oven. The recipe is allegedly based on a cooking disaster-turned-success - a mixture of ingredients assembled by mistake whilst the cook was preparing a meal at what is now the Rutland Hotel, for a special guest.
- There are two shops in Bakewell, both claiming to serve puddings based on the original recipe, which in both cases is a jealously guarded secret, having been passed down through the family from the original cook... Personally I don't think it matters which, if either or both establishments follow the original recipe, as both taste quite delicious!
- Val VANNET has a photograph of a Bakewell Pudding on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2004.
Rose KELLAND provides this announcement from the Derby Mercury for 01 February 1865: "The snow storm of Friday last will be long remembered in this neighbourhood. Seldom during the last few years has snow fallen in this neighbourhood in such quantities, as to impede the traffic even in the less frequented roads leading from Sheffield. Several of the roads out of the town have been almost “snowed up,” and in the outskirts considerable difficulty was experienced by pedestrians in making their way. The road from Sheffield to Owler Bar was in several places rendered impassable, and two unusual occurrences transpired upon it. The first was the complete stoppage of the Bakewell mail coach.
The mail, which was driven by Mr. SIMS, left Bakewell at the usual time, half-past four, and up to Owler Bar, met with no unusual stoppage. The latter place was reached at the proper time – a little after six o’clock; and here four fresh horses were placed in the coach.
Here the first difficulties were experienced, for in a distance of a few yards a very large snow drift, of a considerable length and about seven feet in depth, was encountered. The horses sank in it, and for above an hour and a half efforts were made to clear the way. At last the road was cleared, and the horses, now almost exhausted with their efforts, got away again; but in a short time another, hardly less formidable, drift was encountered, at a place known as Moorbeck’s farm. Four men were engaged in clearing the snow away, but a stoppage of some duration had to be endured before the coach could be got again under weigh (as written!). At last perseverance and hard labour again got her majesty’s mails going, and a further effort to reach Sheffield was made, but the difficulties of the road were not yet overcome, for before reaching Totley Pike, about a mile from Owler Bar, a tremendous drift, above 40 yards in length, and seven or eight feet in depth, was got into. Here the driver, Mr SIMS was thrown off the box into the snow, and one of the horses fell on the top of him. Great difficulty was experienced in getting the driver and horse clear, for they had to be dug out of the snow, but at last it was done.
All hopes to extricate the coach were now given up, it was almost completely buried, and it was decided to leave it, at least for a time, to its fate. Mr SIMS, who had suffered considerably by his fall and the weight of the horse on the top of him, managed to walk down to the “Waggon and Horses”, some distance off, where he procured a horse and conveyed the mails to Sheffield, arriving at the Post Office at half-past twelve! Persons were left in charge of the discarded coach, and on Friday afternoon it was brought to Sheffield.
On Saturday, men were engaged in clearing the roads, in order that the traffic might be carried on, but it was decided not to run the coach on that day, and the mails were conveyed in a dog-cart. The second stoppage to which we allude occurred to a cab belonging to Mr MITCHELL, Angel Street. It also left Bakewell early in the day, having Mr WILD, manager of the Sheffield and Rotherham Bank, and two other gentlemen inside. Upon reaching Owler Bar it got into a snow drift, which took the horses up to their necks, and almost buried the cab. Efforts to get clear of the “difficulty” were of course made, but it was not until considerable time was spent that the journey could be resumed, and Sheffield was not reached until a late hour.
The stoppages were unaccompanied, fortunately, with any very serious results. Mr SIMS was rather severely shaken by his fall, and the driver of the cab also suffered a little in the same way."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK217685 (Lat/Lon: 53.213122, -1.676516), Bakewell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1860, the Bakewell and High Peak Rifle Corps was formed by men who wanted to learn to shoot and maintain the new "rifles" that were replacing the smooth-bore guns their fathers had used.
- In 1899, D Company of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Sherwood Foresters was stationed here.Capt. A. BROWN, commanding; George H. TAYLOR-WHITEHEAD, lieut.; Sergent James Henry GREEN, drill instructor.
- In August, 1903, Colonel Bertie George DAVIE married Flora Helen Frances McCREAGH-THORNHILL here in Bakewell.
- In 1912, D Company of the 6th Territorial Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters was stationed here at the Drill Hall.
- Eirian EVANS has a photograph of the WWI War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
- Roger CORNFOOT also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009. Although he only identifies it as a roundabout.
- The Traces of War website shows us the parish has 10 Commonwealth War Graves from World War I and 2 from WWII.
Gerald ENGLAND has a photograph of the War Memorial plaques on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
These 10 casualties from World War I are buried in the Bakewell Community Cemetery:
- G. W. BLAGDEN, priv., Sherwood Foresters, died 8 Oct. 1918.
- T. HICKS, priv., Sherwood Foresters, died 12 March 1919.
- F. HOLDER, corporal, DBYS Yeomanry, age 31, died 17 May 1920.
- H. C. MARSDEN, priv., Sherwood Foresters, died 13 Dec. 1919.
- John H. SHERRATT, srgt., Royal Defense Corps., age 34, died 7 Nov. 1918.
- E. H. SMITH, pioneer, Royal Engineers, died 14 May 1919.
- Ernest A. SMITH, priv., Sherwood Foresters, died 14 Nov. 1918.
- T. SWANN, Captain, Sherwood Foresters, died 18 Jan. 1917.
- T. E. TURNER, priv., Sherwood Foresters, age 40, died 4 June 1919.
- Edward WOOD, priv., Durham Light Inf., age 22, died 7 Feb. 1918.
These two casualties from World War II are buried in the Bakewell Community Cemetery:
- William McGREGOR, ldg. aircraftman, RAF Vol. Rsv., age 27, died 24 July 1944.
- Reginald W. POWELL, ldg. seaman, RN, age 20, died 5 Oct. 1941. Served on the minesweeper HMS Eastbourne.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 24 March 1803: "MARRIED: On Thursday, at Bakewell, in this county, Mr. Thos. Steele, cotton dealer, of Manchester, to Miss Jane WHITE, daughter of Mr. Wm. WHITE, of the former place."
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).
- The Bakewell Urban District Council was established in 1894.
- In 1903 the hamlet of Holme was transferred from Great Longstone parish to this civil parish.
- You may contact the Bakewell Town Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to do family history lookups for you.
- District governance is provided by the Derbyshire Dales District Council.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bakewell petty session hearings each Friday at 11am.
- There is a list of over 100 Bakewell Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Bakewell" from the list of parishes displayed.
The Common Land was enclosed here in 1806.
The Bakewell Almshouses - subject of a recent restoration project which began in 2003 - are a familiar feature in South Church Street. The present row of cottages dates from 1709, built behind the then Town Hall to accommodate six inmates; however the Almshouse Charity associated with their administration predates their construction by over 100 years, being founded by deeds of 30th April 1602 and 26th April 1605 by Roger Manners and John Manners of Haddon Hall "so that we can give charitable disposition towards the relief of poor people inhabiting the town of Bakewell". It was to be called the St John's Hospital, with its income raised from rents levied on lands at Bradmore in South Nottinghamshire, and granted by John Manners to Roger Manners, Roger Collumbell, Rowland Eyre and George Bowne for administration. The 1602 provision was for accommodation for four men, each of which was to receive a pension. In 1605 this was increased to six Almsmen, together with an increase in their pension allowance, and an increased allowance to the laundress (who lived elsewhere).
The first accommodation was described in the Deed of 1602 as "so much of a newly erected house, being part of the chapel, as contained four lodgings below and having the Town Hall over it, and the backside or garden-stead and shall remain a hospital for ever and the same should be called St John's Hospital". Evidence of the sleeping cells was found during alterations some years ago. A dining hall for the Governor and poor is then mentioned in the document of 1605.
The Almsmen were to be "single and unmarried and wear a gown, upon the left breast of which was a cross of blue and yellow to be continually worn", and in the event of an inmate being "an alehouse haunter, drunkard or notorious offender or found begging" he was to be expelled. Church-attendance was mandatory, on penalty of a fine of twelve pence.
[Information summarized from history provided by www.bakewellalmshouses.com, which is no longer online]
In an 1858 Will (made in 1855), John BOWMAN late of Monyash now Bakewell, mentions:
- wife Jemima BOWMAN
- Henry BOWMAN
- dau. Hannah under 21
- dau. Mary Ann
- brother Henry of One-Ash
- Thomas HOPKINS of Nottingham, grocer
- William BOWMAN of Nottingham
- John TAYLOR
- Jas. W. TAYLOR
- The earliest known education in Bakewell was provided by the Chantry Priest in the Chantry of Our Lady, founded by the Vernon family of Haddon in the 13th century. One source suggests the Chantry property still exists, now as separate cottages in South Church Street, sited just below the Church; however the present buildings (recognisable until quite recently by their thatched roofs) are of a later date, being built in the early 18th century as Almshouses. Nevertheless it seems likely - whether or not anything of the original building survives, that the location is correct, as the more comprehensive definition of ‘Chantry’ in The Catholic Encyclopedia explains how it was quite common for the Chapels to be sited in buildings separate from the Church, but within, or connected to the churchyard, as these properties, or their predecessors must once have been.
The abolition of Chantries in 1547, in Edward VI's reign resulted in the loss of this, and other schools funded by the Chantries. After this time, other religious movements stepped in, leading to the founding of Charity Schools, either dependent on a benefactor, or on public subscription.
- The first Lady Manners School may be counted amongst these latter Charity Schools. It was founded in 1636 by Grace, Lady Manners as a free school for the education of boys from Bakewell and Great Rowsley, and has survived successive revolutions in education to become today a Secondary Comprehensive School, in Shutts Lane.
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the current Lady Manners School on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2012. The school is on the south edge of the town.