Hide

Barrow upon Trent

hide
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Melbourne sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 188
1851 H.O. 107 / 2140
1861 R.G. 9 / 2489
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Wilfrid (often spelled "Wilfred").
     
  • The church appears to be an early Norman structure (prior to 1600).
     
  • A new marble pulpit was built in 1894 by the SALE family.
     
  • The church seats 157.
     
  • Jerry EVANS has a nice photograph of St. Wilfrid's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2008.
     
  • David DIXON also has a photograph of the parish Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1657.
     
  • The Family History Library has the parish registers on microfilm for 1662 through 1946. They also have the Bishop's Transcripts for 1676 through 1868.
     
  • The same records are available at the Derby Local Studies Library.
     
  • Marriages at Barrow-on-Trent and Twyford 1657-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Melbourne.
     
  • The Congregationalists had a chapel built here in 1839 or 1841. This chapel was later used by the Methodists and, after they deminished, it was converted to a residence. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the former chapel on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2018.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Melbourne sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

Barrow-on-Trent is a village, a Township and a parish 132 miles north of London and about 6 miles south of Derby city.

"BARROW-ON-TRENT, a parish in the hundreds of Appletree and Morleston, in the county of Derby, 3 miles E. from Willington railway station, and 6 miles to the S. of Derby, its post town. It is situated on the north bank of the river Trent, and contains the chapelries of Stenson and Twyford, and the liberty of Sinfin-with-Arleston. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

The A5132 arterial road passes along the north side of the village as it runs between Swarkestone and Twyford. The parish lies 132 miles north of London and covers 1,130 acres. In 1891 it included the townships of Sinfin and Arleston and parts of Twyford and Stenson. There is bus service to and from both Melbourne and Derby city on weekdays.

You can see pictures of Barrow upon Trent which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Barrow upon Trent has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

The Pinfold was for wandering livestock and animals. They would be held here until the farmer paid the small fine and returned them to their pastures, corrals or domicile. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the local Pinfold on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2018.

A large part of the parish was given over to pasturage prior to the early 20th century.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Diamond Jubilee gates on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2018. These gates have celebrated TWO diamond jubilees.

Anne MOZLEY, author, born on 17 September 1809 in Gainsborough, LIN, and died in 1891, lived for much of her life in this parish.

topup

Manors

Barrow Hall was the residence of George EADIE esq. in 1912.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK352285 (Lat/Lon: 52.852853, -1.478723), Barrow upon Trent which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial Cross on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2018. Alan states that the cross was created before the war had ended.
     
  • David DIXON also has a photograph of the War Memorial Cross in the center of the village on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.
     
topup

Military Records

A history of the War Memorial and the names upon it can be read at the Mediafire website..

topup

Names, Geographical

One of the earliest mentions of this place is in the 1086 Domesday book where it is listed amongst the lands given to Henry de FERRERS by the Conqueror.

topup

Obituaries

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 17 March 1803: "DIED: On Thurday se'nnight, at Barrow upon Trent, in this county, Mr. John BANCROFT, farmer and grazier, aged 48."

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar also has this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 5 May, 1803: "DIED: At Repton, in this county, on Monday se'nnight, in a fit of apoplexy, the Rev. John HUTCHINSON, vicar of Barrow on Trent, and formerly second master of Repton School, which situation he held upwards of 30 years."

topup

Politics & Government

  • The townships of Sinfin and Arleston were also ancient Liberties.
     
  • This place was an ancient township and parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • In December, 1866, most of Twyford and Stenson were split off when they became a separate Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1968, this Civil Parish was enlarged by 226 acres when Sinfin and Arleston Civil Parish was abolished. It also gained 79 acres at the same time when Sinfin Moor was abolished as a Civil Parish.
     
  • You may contact the local Barrow upon Trent Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to answer family history questions.
     
  • District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
     
  • There is a list of Barrow-on-Trent Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Barrow on Trent" from the list of parishes displayed.
     
  • As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
topup

Schools

A Public Elementary School (mixed) was built here in 1843 to hold about 100 students. Average attendance in 1912 was 40.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the former village school on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2018. The school is now a private residence.

David DIXON also has a photograph of the Old School House on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.