CHADDESDEN, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 2½ miles E. of Derby. It is crossed by the Nottingham branch of the North Midland railway, the river Derwent, and the Derby canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £89, in the patronage of Sir H. Wilmot, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, and possesses a beautiful carved oak screen.

In the chancel is a cenotaph to the memory of Sir Edward Wilmot, the physician of George I. and George II., and also a monument to his son, Sir Robert M. Wilmot. The register is of early date. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a school for boys, erected by subscription. The annual value of the charities amounts to £54, of which Wilmot's school receives £34.

A chantry was founded in the reign of Edward III. by Henry de Chaddesden, then Archdeacon of Leicester. Robert Newton died seized of the chantry in 1593. The Hall is a fine building, beautifully situated, and is the seat of Sir H. Wilmot, Bart., who is lord of the manor. This place is a meet for the Donington hounds. The feast is held on the nearest Sunday to St. Peter's Day.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868


Archives & Libraries

The Phillip Whitehead Memorial Library is in Chaddesden Park and is open 4 days per week.



  • The Chaddesden Cemetery was built in 1855 with two mortuary chapels.
  • This cemetery is also known as the Nottingham Road Cemetery. The cemetery is actually on both sides of the road.
  • Francis DOLMAN has a photograph of the Nottingham Road Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
  • Francis DOLMAN also has a photograph of the mortuary chapels at the main gate on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
  • Sam STYLES has a pleasant photo of a quiet section of the cemetery on the Geo-graph website, taken in 2003.


  • The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1851H.O. 107 / 2141
1861R.G. 9 / 2494
1891R.G. 12 / 2726

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin.
  • The church was rebuilt circa 1357.
  • The church seats 200.
  • Michael FITCHETT has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1718 for all entries.
  • Marriages at Chaddesden, 1718-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
  • We have a pop-up window of a partial extract of Parish Register burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1838.
  • Saint Philip's Church on Taddington Road was opened by HM The Queen in 1957.
  • The Roman Catholic Church of Saint Alban's is on Roe Farm Lane. Catholics used to hold mass in a building called "The Hut", installed in 1948. The new church opened in June, 1955.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.

Description & Travel

"CHADDESDEN is a parish (having no dependent township), in the hundred of Appletree but locally situate in that of Morleston and Litchurch, two miles and a half east from Derby. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is of considerable antiquity, having a stone stall in its chancel; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir Robert Wilmot. The Derby canal passes through the parish,- which contained, at the last census (1831), 469 inhabitants, for being fewer, by thirty-three, than were returned for it in 1801."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Chaddesden is functionally a suburb on the north-east side of Derby city. Locals refer to the village as "Chad".

You can see pictures of Chaddesden which are provided by:







The Enoch Stone Memorial marks the spot on Derby Road where a notorious murder took place in 1856.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK382369 (Lat/Lon: 52.928155, -1.433192), Chaddesden which are provided by:


Military History

  • There are a number of Commonwealth War Graves at a portion of the cemetery set aside for them. Daniel RICHARDSON has a photograph of the War Graves on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2009.

Military Records

  • Photographs of the Chaddesden War Memorial and the names on it are on the Chaddesden website. Click on the photos to enlarge the images.

Names, Geographical

Wikipedia tells us that the name was "recorded in Domesday Book as Cedesene."



Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 22 September, 1803: MARRIED: "On Saturday last, at Chaddesden, near this place, Mr. BAYLEY, Mercer and Draper, of this town, to Miss HOLLAND, of the former place."

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar has this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 31 October, 1804: MARRIED: "Yesterday, at Chaddesden, in this county, Mr. Charles FINNEY, joiner and cabinet maker, of this town, to Miss WHITE, daughter of Mr WHITE, of the former place."



Jane TAYLOR of Redcar offers this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 15 July, 1802: "DIED: On Friday last, at Chaddesden, near this town (on his return home) Mr. Thomas GRAY of Nottingham; coach proprietor."


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Derby county and it was incorporated as a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • This parish was partly in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
  • The Corporation of Derby acquired much of the land when it came up for sale in the 1930s by the Wilmot family, and started to build houses on it.
  • In April, 1968, this Civil Parish was abolished and all 168 acres amalgamated into Morley Civil Parish.
  • Chaddesden has since been absorbed by the county borough of Derby in 1968 and is now one of the most populous parts of the city.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
  • There is an index of Chaddesden Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Chaddesden" from the list of parishes displayed.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1782.
  • As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
  • In 1891 the parish maintained six almshouses for the poor. All that remains today is a mound where they stood.


  • Schools in Chaddesden include Lees Brook Community School (secondary school/college), Chaddesden Park Primary School, Cherrytree Hill Primary School, Meadowfarm School and Cavendish Close School.


Chaddesden Historical Group meets on the first Thursday in every month at the Jubilee Club on Chaddesden Lane at 10am. Their website no longer functions.