NEWBOLD, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NEWBOLD, a township in the parish of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2½ miles N.W. of Chesterfield. The village, which is considerable, may be considered a suburb of Chesterfield. It is united with Dunstan to form a township. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield.
The church is modern. There is a free school, endowed by George Milne with land producing an income of £25; also almshouses for three poor women, endowed by Mrs. Elizabeth Tomlinson in 1781 with the interest of £400 in the Four per Cents."
"DUNSTAN, (or Dunston) a township in the parish of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, in the county of Derby. 2 miles N.E. of Chesterfield. It is joined to Newbold."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]