Hide

Sandiacre

hide
Hide

SANDIACRE, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 9 miles E. of Derby, its post town, and 25 from Leicester. It is a station on a branch line of the Midland railway. The village is situated on the river Erewash, and on the road from Derby to Nottingham. It was formerly a market town, and comprises the township of Springfarm. In the vicinity are brick kilns and a starch manufactory. Some of the females are employed in warp net-making, and in the manufacture of lace by power loom. The Erewash and Derby canal, communicating with the Grand Junction, passes through the parish.

The impropriate tithes belong to the Prebendary of Sandiacre, in the cathedral of Lichfield. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is partly Saxon, with a spired tower containing three bells. It is mentioned in Domesday Survey, and forms a conspicuous object in the surrounding landscape. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Sandiacre Library on Doncaster Avenue near Albert Road is normally open six days a week. The Library has a Local Studies and Family History Section to assist you in your search.

topup

Cemeteries

The Anglican Churchyard closed to new burials some years ago.

A "New Cemetery" was established on Church Drive adjacent to the churchyard cemetery.

The vicar at St. Giles is responsible for keeping the plans and records of the old cemetery and the parish clerk keeps the records and plans of the New Cemetery.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2140 and 2141
1861 R.G. 9 / 2492
1891 R.G. 12 / 2724 & 2725
topup

Church History

  • There was an ancient chapel here, dedicated to Saint Sytha (or Osyth), a Mercian princess who died circa AD 700. She was the daughter of Frithwald, a sub-king of Mercia in Surrey.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Giles.
     
  • The church was built early in the Norman era, probably around 1160.
     
  • The whole church was restored in 1883.
     
  • The church seats 330.
     
  • Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of St. Giles Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a good photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1571 for baptisms, 1570 for burials and 1581 for marriages.
     
  • Michael SPENCER provides a (partial) extract of Parish Register burials in a file for your review. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
     
  • Marriages at Sandiacre, 1581-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
     
  • A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built here in 1826.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

"SANDIACRE is a village, in the small parish of its name, in the same hundred as Ilkeston, about four miles, south, from that town, & about nine, east, from Derby, situate close to the western boundary of the county of Nottingham. A market and fair was formerly held in the village, but at present little importance belongs to it as a place of trade."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The M1 Motorway runs just west of the village. The parish borders on Nottinghamshire to the east and covers 1,090 acres.

Richard VINCE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012. You may have to search for it in the photograph.

You can see pictures of Sandiacre which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

  • The transcription of the section for Sandiacre from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
     
  • We also have this entry from John Marius WILSON's 1870 Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales:
SANDIACRE, a village and a parish in Shardlow district, Derby. The village stands on the Erewash river and canal, and on the Erewash Valley railway, 6 miles W S W of Nottingham; was once a market-town; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Nottingham. The parish comprises 1, 420 acres.
topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sandiacre has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • There is an 1899 Photograph on FLICKR of Town Street that might be useful.
     
  • For a trip down Memory Lane, visit the Ilkcam site.
     
  • Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the Blue Bell Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES also has a photograph of the Blue Bell Inn on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
     
  • These are the names associated with the Blue Bell Inn in various directories:
Year  Person
1891 Thomas SMITH
1895 Thos. SMITH
1912 Henry RILEY
  • Ian CALDERWOOD has a photograph of the White Lion Inn on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
     
  • Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of the Red Lion Inn on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2010.
     
topup

Maps

A good map for tourists and historians is available at Town Centre Maps.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK476368 (Lat/Lon: 52.926508, -1.293384), Sandiacre which are provided by:

topup

Military History

Sgt. Ivan Keith Doncaster is memorialised in a stained-glass window in St. Giles Church. His Lancaster III bomber was lost in a raid on Kessel, Germany, in Oct. 1943.

There is a War Memorial in Sandiacre Cemetery on Church Drive, in the wall surrounding the cemetery.

topup

Military Records

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has 9 graves recorded in Sandiacre Cemetery.

These are the WWI Casualties buried at St. Giles cemetery:

  1. Driver E. W. MARRIOTT. 315 Bde. RFA, , died 10 June 1919.
  2. Srgt. Edgar Cecil BAKER. Army Pay Corps, age 32, died 19 June 1918, son of Joseph Henry and Annie BAKER.
  3. Private Horace MERRIMAN, Sherwood Foresters, 53rd Btln., age 20, died 23 Aug. 1919, son of William and Agnes MERRIMAN.
  4. Private H. J. PAYNE. 7th Btln. Leics Regt., died 1 Jan. 1919.

World War II:

  1. Private Albert Ernest EATON. Sherwood Foresters Regt., 14th Btln., died 09 July 1941.
  2. Srgt. Eric Charles HOSKIN. 10 Sqdn. RAF Vol. Rsrv, age 25, died 12 Dec 1941, husband of Nancy F. HOSKIN of Sandiacre.
  3. Lance Corp. Harry ROLLEY. 2nd. Btln. North Staffs, age 24, died 29 Oct 1940, son of Mrs. A. FERN of Matlock.
  4. Gunner Harry Eton STONE. 4th. HAA Regt. Royal Artillery, died 1 Dec 1940, son of Henry Eton and Florrie STONE.
  5. Driver Cecil Ronald TAYLOR. RASC, age 25, died 21 Apr 1942, Son of Lizzie TAYLOR of Sandiacre.
topup

Newspapers

Jane Taylor of Redcar provides this announcement from the Derby Mercuty, 6 November 1800: "Married: On Monday last, at Ockbrook, in this county, Mr. Richard EDWARDS, to Miss Elizabeth FREASON, only daughter of Mr. Thomas FREASON, farmer, of Sandiacre."

topup

Obituaries

Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 22 August 1804: "DIED: On Monday last, aged 57 years, Mr. Ambrose ROTTON, of Sandiacre, in this county."

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • You may contact the Sandiacre Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Erewash Borough Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Smalley (Ilkeston court) petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Alan MURRAY_RUST has a photograph of Dr. Bland's Almshouses in the Derby Road on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014. A sign on the building tells us that the Almshouses were built in 1910.
topup

Population

 Year  Inhabitants
1801 405
1821 587
1841 996
1851 1,065
1871 1,178
1881 1,630
topup

Probate Records

The following Wills were proved:

  • 1849 - John GREEN
topup

Schools

A Public Elementary School (boys and girls) was built on Church Street in 1878 and enlarged prior to 1912.

An Infants' School was built here in 1907 on Victoria Road.

The MAKIN sisters (Elizabeth and Gladys) had a private Girls' school on The Hill.