Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Alwington, from White 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ALWINGTON

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

ALWINGTON, a pleasant village, on the banks of the little river Yeo, four miles S.W. by S. of Bideford, has in its parish 392 souls, and 5330 acres of land, including the hamlets of Fairy Cross, Ford, and Woodtown. The Rev. J. T. P. Coffin, M.A., is lord of the manor of Alwington, and has a handsome seat here, called Portledge, which has been the seat and property of the Coffins nearly from the time of the Conquest. Chas. Bruton, Esq., is lord of the manor of South Yeo, and owner of the pleasant seat called Yeo Vale, and of the Barton of Winscott. Mr. S. Rolstone and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a small antique structure, with a tower and four bells, and contains monuments and memorials of the Coffin, Pine, and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17. 4s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £282, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J. T. P. Coffin, M.A., who has 60A. of glebe, and an old Parsonage, let to a farmer. The tithes were commuted in 1837, for £243 per annum. The remains of an ancient chapel at Yeo Vale, formerly stood near the mansion, but have been removed to a more distant part of the grounds. The Parish School was built by the Rector and Mrs. Morrison, in 1836. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel, and an Almshouse for three poor people, founded in 1667, by Richd. Coffin, who endowed it with ten acres of land, vested with the successive heirs of his family. The poor have 2½A., purchased with benefaction money, and the interest of £25, left by Richard Coffin, in 1795.

Coffin Rev J. T. Pine, M.A. Portledge
Dayman Humphrey, schoolmaster
Eastman John, vict., Swan
Hole Lewis S., registrar, &c
Johns David, blacksmith
Morrison Mrs Yeo Vale
Pennington Rd. and Wm. carpenters
Poe Wm., carpenter
Prowse Robert, corn miller

FARMERS.

Ashton Ann
Crealock Wm.
Clement Charles
Delve George
Downing Dinnr.
Ford George
Grigg Edward
Hanford Amos
Haywood Thos.
Vale Richard
Wakeley James
Walter Richard

Brian Randell, 21 Jun 1996